Serious competition for the BMPCC - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old December 19th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #61
Inner Circle

Re: Serious competition for the BMPCC

No external monitor yet. Might get an EVF next year so I can use the BMCC with a shoulder mount, But most of what I plan to do with it will be pretty well locked down so only need the VF for initial focus and rough color temp setting. The "active" camera is my JVC 110 on a tripod because it has a real (albeit not the greatest!) video lens on it, so smooth LANC controlled zooming and panning are easier and real buttons instead of touch screen silliness and since everything will wind up as 720P online there's no reason not to use it for a few more years. Until I can't get tape anymore!
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #62
Trustee

I know what you mean. I own a Sony Z1, which is great because it can do NTSC and PAL.

The present doc I'm shooting is being shot in HDV PAL, for an eventual transfer to film, which I doubt will happen. But as it's being shot on a PAL country (Argentina), it would prevent eventual fluo flickering location problems.

The idea is that this camera becomes "B", and the new one takes over as "A".

I also deeply dislike on-screen controls, as I believe they shorten screen life. I had them on my Sony DV camera, and I never used them. I think the Z1 has them too.

My main concern is finding a camera I can really focus in mid-shots, with shallow DOF. That is something I do not have on the Z1, due to its small 1/3" sensors.

I opened another thread where I am also discussing likely options to the Blackmagic:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmag...ml#post1825014
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #63
Major Player

I have absolutely no problem with the batteries on the BMPCC - completely over blown non-issue. They're pretty much the same mini-battery size as the ones in the RX10. I simply picked up 4 extras for $60 and a $25 dual charger. With a $200 LCDVF you've got a perfectly complete little rig. It's simply not a "pocket" camera like a P&S but that's not why people are buying them - they're buying them for the super16 cinema image - which it delivers in spades, if you light, expose and stabilize it professionally. And for another $100 I bought the new Contineo cage, that's amazing for the money and makes the whole rig with a 7" monitor perfect for commercial work.

Now, regarding the two cameras, it really depends on what you're producing. We produce a good deal of film that requires outdoor locations and often shots without a crew. That's why I was interested in the RX10 and it really paid off. It's an absolutely great little camera that we've been testing all week with the BMPCC for upcoming projects next week.

It's not an either or. They deliver two completely different experiences and two completely different looks. We certainly knew that going into it and bought them for the two things they excel at:

The RX10 is better than any DSLR as a filming tool. It has everything you'd want in a video camera for controls and a great lens. If you liked using a DSLR for filming, this is a new ballgame.

The BMPCC, is a creative tool for beauty work, and will sit beside RED and Alexa footage given the same lighting and handling. It's inexpensive to rig into a full production tool and it still remains very small.

With the BMPCC, you won't get the ergonomics or features of the RX10 - not even remotely close.

With the RX10 you won't get the image of the BMPCC. You'll get an awesome image - really surprisingly so even with complex backgrounds despite what some have said about the AVCHD codec. It's obvious that those people didn't understand that you shut off the "Active" OIS and move the camera at the same speed as any 24p move.

Anyway, after doing studio and outdoor tests with both cameras, they're both keepers for two different purposes.

If you're doing film work and TV commercials don't even think about it, get the BMPCC and for about $1400 you've got everything you need (and we only produce in Pro Res not RAW).

If you run and gun, don't even think about it - the RX10 is the best thing since sliced bread for that.

If you do both, then for $3000 (including a nice 7" monitor for the BMPCC) you've got a production package that will fit in a shoulder bag with lenses and batteries for both.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #64
Trustee

Very nice, Jim!

It's interesting that I was reading your comments thinking you were talking of the BMCC, and not the BMPCC as you were. Amazing! Have you compared it with other more expensive cameras?

And you think the Pocket is that good so as to consider it for serious film work? That's a serious recommendation! Don't worry, I believe you.

Perhaps I should re-reconsider the Pocket again, and forget about shooting RAW for this job. I think it's simpler to dress up the Pocket than the 2.5K. Basic lens choice (it has to be a zoom), at least four CF 64Gb cards, four batteries (which I can buy later from eBay) and a 7" monitor. I would prefer a 10" type, but I can compromise on the 7". Something about $1,300 or so.

Later on I could go back to RAW, even doing some tests with the Pocket first, to see on what it improves on ProRes.

I think I should get a Speedbooster too.

The Contineo cage you talk about is that metal box all full of holes? It looks amazing! You can add accesories to it, I guess, so maybe I should consider them too. How do you attach a 7" monitor to it?

Thanks for making me look at things in a different way.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #65
Major Player

Hey Carlos, glad I can help.

Regarding the Contineo (mine actually just arrived FedEx) they sell a cold shoe that mounts to the cage for about $25 and of course you can always get a more flexible arm for little more that mounts anywhere on it.

I'm going to keep talking affordable budget because that's important to most people and its one of the strengths of the BMPCC. With that in mind, you should look at the Lilliput 663/664 (only a few monitors will take the direct 24p HDMI out of the BMPCC). You can pick one up for around $400 with peaking, false color, focus assist and they run on small NPF or other battery plates.

Yes, the BMPCC can shoot absolutely beautiful film footage.

The new BMPCC Speedbooster (when they're back in stock) makes it the most unique little camera around. Now it's like a Super35 camera with very fast and sharp manual glass like Nikon AIS (my favorites).

If you do get the BMPCC, for starters, get the Olympus 45mm. It's simply a stunning portrait/CU lens that will rival any Canon L combination. You can pick up factory refurbs of them for $400-500. A 1DC with a Canon 85mm 1.2 won't look as good...certainly any better and one costs $1500 for camera and lens and the other about $15,000.

If I can later, I'll post a couple of screen grabs from a shoot last week with the BMPCC and 45mm.
Try googling Alexa/BMPCC/BMCC there's a link to a film shot recently with all three cameras cut together.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #66
Trustee

This Contineo Pocket setup, with external Sony battery and 7" monitor looks like a winner!

Part 2: Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera Review | MAX Aperture Films
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera