Serious competition for the BMPCC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old October 17th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Serious competition for the BMPCC

Decision made: Sony announced the Cybershot RX10. This is a new bridge camera with seemingly excellent video shooting capabilities. Shoots 60 and 24p AVCHD, has a high quality tilting screen, a high quality EVF, outputs clean uncompressed 4:2:2 via HDMI and comes with a long list of other desirable features for both video and stills.

I am totally over trying to use the screen on the Pocket camera and I was about to purchase an Alphatron EVF but when I came across the RX10 I changed my mind. My next purchase shall be the Sony Cybershot RX10. My BMPCC is for sale.

DSC-RX10 Digital Still Camera - All Cyber-shot Cameras Sony Store - Sony US
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Serious competition for the BMPCC

Also it appears to come with 50p for the PAL countries.
Old October 18th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I don't see that camera as competition for the pocket cam, it doesn't have 13 stops of DR and it's shoots in a much more compressed codec, although those are the only 2 features that the pocketcam is better at it does set the camera apart from any other camera in it's pricerange.

You don't happen to send the camera to overseas buyers? :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 02:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Uncompressed 4:2:2 out Noa, that is if one needs it given that the implementation of AVCHD is better than ever, and get this; I heard that it does 14 stops of dynamic range! Oh, by the way; state-of-the-art photographic capabilities. While I'm making a 'cinematic' movie I can take gorgeous high quality snapshots of all the girls on the set.

I agree, no competition; the RX10 will leave the Pocket dead in the water, underwater, deep in the mud! Such a shame - I do feel for the cousins in Oz.

Overseas shipping – why not. It’s all packed up looking as good as new, ready to go. But I couldn’t unload it on a good fellow like you. After a few days of wrangling with the ergonomics I doubt you would talk to me ever again:-)
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
I heard that it does 14 stops of dynamic range!
Nah, really?? or is that just some New-Zealandish humor? :) Shout me a price, who knows I might do something stupid.
Old October 18th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Major Player

The a99 claims uncompressed 4:2:2 and its no better than what comes out of the camera. Prores mops the floor with Sony's consumer AVCHD mush. And the upcoming raw DNG for the pocket cam is flat out phenomenal. I've held off going raw with my 5d3 until the pocket cam arrived - because it slows down things on the photo side and I shoot a lot of stills at events - looking at the DNG's, I don't know if I'll ever use the ML raw once the pocket cam has the capability.

Edit: from Sony's website - same crappy AVCHD its been spec'ing in its cameras for years AVCHD: 28M PS (1920 x 1080, 60p) 24M FX (1920 x 1080, 60i) 17M FH (1920 x 1080, 60i) 24M FX (1920 x 1080, 24p) 17M FH (1920 x 1080, 24p) MP4: 12M (1440 x 1080, 30 fps) 3M VGA (640 x 480, 30 fps)
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Major Player

I certainly like the looks of the RX10, plan to buy one to replace my wife's FZ150, and actually did a very positive blog post on it. But I'm keeping my Pocket Cam. There is no way an 8 bit 28mbps AVCHD camera can hold up to 10 bit 233mbps ProRes or lossless 12 bit RAW in the editing suite or on the screen.

It can certainly be a challenge to get the most out of the BMPCC, but it is a cinema camera, and the RX10 is not.

As I point out in the blog, the RX10 is much more of a threat to Panasonic, which has heretofore had the advantage in still/video hybrid cameras.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Major Player

"I am totally over trying to use the screen on the Pocket camera and I was about to purchase an Alphatron EVF..."

I'm thinking the Hoodman Cinema Loop thing (or a variation) might work for this and be massively cheaper then an EVF.
Old October 18th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post
There is no way an 8 bit 28mbps AVCHD camera can hold up to 10 bit 233mbps ProRes or lossless 12 bit RAW in the editing suite or on the screen.
Correct, if you know how to handle it, there are many crap looking pocket cam videos currently online which shows how difficult it is to get it right, it just doesn't shoot great looking video right out of the box like I can do with my gh3, many rave about the dynamic range and the fact you have so much controll in post but only a few seem to know how to deal with all that codec power.
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Inner Circle

WARNING, WARNING Will Robinson !!!!!

Take care and be sure the camera has what it says it has. When I bought my Sony VG 20, they promised control by have several picture profiles for the video, but when we received the camera, no such thing was aboard. You had one profile, and that was it. You cannot depend on Sony's sales literature to give you the true lowdown on the camera !!!!!
Old October 18th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #11
Trustee

Chris,

The VG30 is the one with the picture profiles.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #12
Inner Circle

It was definitely posted as being on the VG 20. I found out the hard way having purchased directly from the Sony website. I saved the webpages and had an extensive communication campaign with Sony
Old October 19th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #13
Trustee

Ouch.

And rightly so. It's unacceptable for Sony to mis-lead buyers like that.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #14
Major Player

Pre ordering any consumer product is generally ill advised.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Christian View Post
Pre ordering any consumer product is generally ill advised.
i preordered an RX10.

from a retailer with a return policy :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera