DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   BlackMagic Cinema Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/)
-   -   BMPC or GH3 for aerial video? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/521223-bmpc-gh3-aerial-video.html)

John Cash January 23rd, 2014 11:15 AM

BMPC or GH3 for aerial video?

Im here to ask current owners of the Balck Magic about how it holds up in quick pans and action shots. I fly a large multirotor now with a Canon T3i. Ive had lots of problems using this camer due to rolling shutter when I pan and some of the dynamics surrounding aerial work. How does the Black magic footage look when a fast pan is done? Will the fact that it wont shoot full 1080 HD at 60fps be an issue?
I do have to step up to 60fps with the canon, and of course thats at 720p.

second- I have always delt with DSLR or prosumer camcorders. I do have FCP7 and Im running Lion but my Mac is a 2009 MacPro and I cant run the latest OS.

I do need to record to SD then import into FCP. Will I have to learn a new workflow with this camera?

Does anyone have both the GH3 and the BMPC? if so, which do you go to more?

Thanks
this is a Big choice I can afford to get wrong

John Cash January 23rd, 2014 02:46 PM

Re: BMPC or GH3 for aerial video?

Going with the GH3. I don't have a computer fat enough for the files this camera will be outputting nor do I have the budget to buy the Davinchi software needed

Jim Andrada January 23rd, 2014 06:53 PM

Did you check whether the free DaVinci LT would provide the functionality you need? It's pretty capable - much more so than the usual crippled "LT" versions of most applications. I got the full version with the BMCC so haven't tried the LT version myself, but I've heard good things about it.

Jeff Troiano January 23rd, 2014 07:30 PM

Why can't you run the latest OS? I have a 2009 8 core mac pro and I'm running the latest OS. Mine handles BM raw files just fine.

I've been looking for a gimbal solution for the pocket cam. Been waiting on the dji zenmuse for pocket cam. But no word yet. I'm just flying a gopro on a tbs quad at the moment.

Bill Bruner January 25th, 2014 02:26 AM

John - Jim is correct. You don't need to pay for DaVinci, the free version is all you need. In case you missed it, here is what I said over on the other thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Bruner (Post 1829105)
Unless there's some specific feature of the $945 version of DaVinci that you absolutely need, the does a fabulous job of grading and rendering and 90%+ of what the paid version can do: Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve Compare

And, as Jeff says, your 2009 Mac Pro should be able to handle BM files just fine (especially ProRes).

Again, good luck with your decision,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Bill Bruner January 25th, 2014 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Troiano (Post 1829063)
...I've been looking for a gimbal solution for the pocket cam. Been waiting on the dji zenmuse for pocket cam. But no word yet. I'm just flying a gopro on a tbs quad at the moment.

Jeff - In case you haven't seen, here is the $2499 Zenmuse S15 for NEX slightly modified for the Pocket Cam aboard an S800 (video from Alpine Aerials):

The "mod" for the NEX gimbal seems pretty simple:

https://vimeo.com/77405660#comment_10192283

"Basically the Pocket fits in the Z15N without any drilling but you need to put the camera way back and compensate with a heavy lens like the 7-14 (300g). To make it fit you have to remove the sunshade. Also you have to run HDMI externally."

Cheers,

Bill

Jeff Troiano January 25th, 2014 07:14 PM

Thanks, I've been checking that out. My aerial gear was recently stolen (f550 with gopro). Insurance has settled with me, and am in the process of building a TBS Discovery Pro. I like that I can pack just about everything up in one case and take on the road with me.

Maybe later this year I'll look at building a bigger hex for my pocket cam. Had been waiting for dji to release the zenmuse for pocket, because I didn't know how to modify the nex version to fit the pocket.