DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   BlackMagic Cinema Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/)
-   -   Help with BM 4K Accesories (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/521902-help-bm-4k-accesories.html)

Martin Nikolo February 27th, 2014 11:08 AM

Help with BM 4K Accesories

I have around $5.3K budget. After I get the camera about $2.3K are left for accessories. I already have a ME66/K6 mic and hot shoe shock mount and a tripod. I need a lens, battery, and SSD with a dock. I may get JuicedLink audio box ($400) and a simple hot shoe lamp ($100). I need to figure out what other accessories would be a must and how to place them all on the camera. I think a cage would not fit the budget. Maybe some plates or arms? Most of that is so overpriced.

Please, can you advise how to best spend the remaining $2300 or so? What do you think is a must? Thank You!

Noa Put February 27th, 2014 12:00 PM

Re: Help with BM 4K Accesories

What will you be shooting? That will determine what gear you need.

Martin Nikolo February 27th, 2014 12:05 PM

I will shoot science docs. But I aspire to do short fiction films. In another words, I will not be running around with the camera.

Noa Put February 27th, 2014 12:17 PM

The BM camera is not exactly a run and gun camera out of the box so you would need a rig for it if you plan to shoot handheld, will you have sufficient time to set up your shots? If that is not the case you definitely would need a loupe of some kind to judge your focus, 4k can be very unforgiving if you miss focus.

Have you thought about what lens you"d need? I"d expect that will take a big bite out of your budget.

Martin Nikolo February 27th, 2014 12:47 PM

I will have time to setup my shots. The camera will always be on a tripod. Perhaps I will get Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

Darren Levine February 27th, 2014 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Im in the same boat, started to piece things together.

You mentioned forgoing a cage, which thought until i saw this one for dirt cheap:

Amazon.com: ePhoto Cinema Camera Cage For Black Magic Video Movie Camera Follow Focus BMC-SHB: Camera & Photo

Are you planning on staying with AC power? Even if so, get some batteries, theres even some 12v tablet backup batteries on amazon for under 100 bucks that will get you a few hours.

an external monitor or evf are also strongly recommended. theres a cineroid with sdi for 600 bucks. there are also some small monitors with sdi starting in that rang as well

Martin Nikolo February 27th, 2014 01:11 PM

Hi Darren. That cage looks good. How is it working out for you? I am planning on batteries. Probably Switronix Powerbase-70 Battery Pack & Charger for Blackmagic Camera Kit.

Once we start talking monitor and evf, things are getting quite expensive. About $600 each at minimum. I am trying to understand what accessories will be critical and which ones are just nice.

Darren Levine February 27th, 2014 01:14 PM

the cage is a steal for what it is. it may not be as extensive as the pricer units, but that's what you get.

be sure to read my review of it on amazon, i point out the few quirks in setting it up, there's no manual and if you use the wrong bolts in the wrong place you'll scratch your camera