DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old March 7th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rigging Issues with BMPCC

The Black Magic Pocket Camera is a recent addition to my kit and I am still working on rigging it and making it work for me.

I have run into some real trouble the lens mount being so close to the bottom of the camera, if I attach any of my lager lenses they hit the tripod mount. Now even with the smaller MFT lens I am having trouble with the camera being to close to the rails and as a result not being able to attach a follow focus.

I am trying to use this cage I already own for my DSLR

Amazon.com : Opteka CXS-500 X-Cage Pro with Handgrip and Rail System for all DSLR cameras : Professional Video Stabilizers : Camera & Photo

I realize I could buy a whole other cage made for the BMPCC that would provide more space, but being on a budget I would rather use the cage I already have. I would also like to be able to use it with out a cage a larger lenses when I want.

Has anyone found a spacer or something that would work to lift the camera further from up. The cage I have has plenty of space in it, I am just having trouble finding much online.
Old March 8th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Rigging Issues with BMPCC

Can you make up a spacer to lift the camera off the bottom of the cage? Even a piece of wood with a hole for a hardware store 1/4 - 20 bolt should work. Looking at the size of the cage it seems like you could almost get 2 BMPCC's in there one above the other, so a spacer should be no problem.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Totally more than enough space for a spacer. The bolt that goes into the camera does not come off though... I guess I could find a way to cut it and remove it and then get a new bold and make spacer out of wood.

I also had an idea today that I could try to find some longer bolts that would fit in the rail system mount holes, and put a spacer between the rails and the cage.

I also ordered one of these quick releases
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I should have plenty of space for it, and it should get another inch around about from the bottom of the cage. As a bonus it will also make it easier to dismount the camera if I need to change cards.

I was just wondering what everyone else did since I noticed this was a problem even when mounting the camera solo to a tripod the bigger lenses would stick out below the bottom of the camera, so I would have to mount the camera on the very edge of the tripod plates to accommodate.

I guess everyone just bought cages for the pocket camera that were designed to deal with this flaw.
Old March 9th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Since I was (and still am) primarily a stills photographer - Minox to 8 x 10 and everything in between - I have quite a few Canon lenses so I got the Metabones Speed Booster and it gives me about an extra 3/8 inch.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera