DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   BlackMagic Cinema Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/)
-   -   Jitter/Stutter when panning w/ BMPCC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/531753-jitter-stutter-when-panning-w-bmpcc.html)

Reggie Moser May 2nd, 2016 11:52 AM

Jitter/Stutter when panning w/ BMPCC

Hello all,
I'm fairly new to BMD gear.....when shooting in raw there is a jitter or stutter like effect going on but clears up after the pan. I also did the same pan shot in pro res and it played smoothly..no stutter...I am editing with fcp7 on a 2006 Mac Pro and it does the same thing on my 2009 Mac Book Pro.... I read in another forum that it could be how the video was encoded which is pro res hq or the fact that my computers need to be upgraded.

Bruce Watson May 2nd, 2016 12:56 PM

Re: Jitter/Stutter when panning w/ BMPCC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie Moser (Post 1913767)
...when shooting in raw there is a jitter or stutter like effect going on but clears up after the pan.

Depends on your frame rate, your lens, and how fast you pan. Film will show stutter if the pan is too fast for conditions; it's not simply a CODEC problem. The solution to most pan problems is to slow down the pan.

Noa Put May 2nd, 2016 01:05 PM

But Reggie said it's doesn't stutter when he shoots in prores so my guess is something is wrong with how he converts the raw footage.

What is your workflow in dealing with the raw footage?

Reggie Moser May 2nd, 2016 01:56 PM

Noa,
I'm using After Effects CS6 to convert the raw clips to prores HQ.

Reggie Moser May 2nd, 2016 02:27 PM

Heres an example I found of what I'm experiencing.

Noa Put May 2nd, 2016 02:59 PM

Try to follow following tutorial from Mattias, see if that makes any difference: (not sure if it autostarts the right moment but if not, you need to start watching from 06:10)

Michael Stevenson May 2nd, 2016 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie Moser (Post 1913776)
Heres an example I found of what I'm experiencing.

Landscape, Castaic, CA on Vimeo

That is not Judder, that is dropped frames. If my guess is right, when you single frame it, you will get one frame that shows the normal pan movement amount then the next frame will look like two frames have elapsed. Welcome to my world. I have an iMac 5K Retina display computer that does the same damn thing. After exhaustive research, since my graphics card does the rendering and playback, it must be my graphics card. I have spent a small fortune and all I end up with is Crap.

Reggie Moser May 2nd, 2016 05:51 PM

Michael,
And I am about to buy the iMac 5k and was thinking it would clear up....I assumed going with the best 4g video card would alleviate the problem. But I guess the processor struggles to handle Raw data correctly.

Jim Andrada May 5th, 2016 11:03 PM

I think the pan is a bit too speedy over and above the dropped frame issue. Kept wanting to grab it and slow it down by about 50%. Just my opinion.

Chris Soucy May 5th, 2016 11:28 PM

Just a thought.............you HAVE turned OFF OIS on the camera before doing these pans, haven't you?

If you haven't, your chasing ghosts.

CS

Chris Barcellos May 12th, 2016 12:38 PM

I agree with Chris and Jim. That looks like image stabilization trying to keep stabilize the image and/or to fast a pan.

Noa Put May 12th, 2016 02:06 PM

It's not certain he used a stabilized lens, furthermore he said that in pro res it played smoothly so it can't be a stabilization problem.

Wacharapong Chiowanich May 15th, 2016 05:00 AM

Agreed. It's something in the process of the raw conversion and playback rendering. Can't point out the bottleneck exactly as I have had no experience using AE and only rarely worked with raw files. Maybe the limitation of his CPU or hard drive's throughput.

Michael Stevenson May 15th, 2016 12:31 PM

Yes, that is another consideration that I've been looking into. I have discovered something that does seem to smooth out the problem. Shoot in 60P!

Reggie Moser May 26th, 2016 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wacharapong Chiowanich (Post 1914609)
Agreed. It's something in the process of the raw conversion and playback rendering. Can't point out the bottleneck exactly as I have had no experience using AE and only rarely worked with raw files. Maybe the limitation of his CPU or hard drive's throughput.

I certainly agree with you here. I think its something in After Effects and the rendering process. Oh, and I didnt have OIS on.