HyperDeck Shuttle from Blackmagic Design - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > BlackMagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 16th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #61
Major Player

Re: Hyperdeck: uncompressed w/5DMII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Maller View Post
This is something that Canon (and others) may or may not choose to address. An example of how Canon feel about this can be found in their new-ish like of pro camcorders. Their XF100 and XF300 (approximately $3000 and $6500) models are available in an '05' version (XF105 and XF305) which primarily add uncompressed output, and add $1000 to the price tag....
I have an XF100. It has HDMI out, so it could use the Hyperdeck, or nanoFlash. But the codec on the XF100 is so good I don't ever expect to record uncompressed.

The main difference between the XF100/300 and the XF105/305 is the addition of SDI which is a more common professional connection for uncompressed out, plus the ability to time sync with other professional cameras.

My expectation is the the next generationof SLR video cameras will have full HDMI out. With a nanoFlash this could get around the codec limitations; or maybe they'll just have much better codecs.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #62
Major Player

HyperDeck ...

The one piece of equipment that blew me away from NAB was the BlackMagic HyperDeck. I did not even see this coming! $350 for HDMI/SDI in/out recording to off the shelf SSDs in 10bit 4.2.2 prores ... incredible. Now, I know this part of the forum is about AJA and Ki Pro but I didn't have anywhere else to state this. Anyone else find this product ... well ... shocking!
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #63
AJA

Re: HyperDeck ...

Dean H. - If you want to post about non-AJA products, you can do so under the general "Tapeless Video Recorders" heading as opposed to the AJA-specific sub-category. Please ask Chris Hurd or someone else at dvinfo.net to move your post to the appropriate location.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, it is an uncompressed only, not Apple ProRes, capable recorder.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
California
Jon Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Thorn View Post
Dean H. - If you want to post about non-AJA products, you can do so under the general "Tapeless Video Recorders" heading as opposed to the AJA-specific sub-category. Please ask Chris Hurd or someone else at dvinfo.net to move your post to the appropriate location.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, it is an uncompressed only, not Apple ProRes, capable recorder.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
California
Thanks Jon ... I'll do that ... sorry about the intrusion and by the way, don't refer to me as Dean H.
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #65
Major Player

Chris ... can you put my comments into the general tapeless category?
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #66
Regular Crew

re: HyperDeck Shuttle from Blackmagic Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
can you point us to the website for the free version of DaVinci Resolve...

Thanks
I found the answer on the BlackMagic site... the software is the DaVinci Resolve Lite version... the site says it will be a free download starting in July... its a dumb'd down version and you can upgrade to the full version for $1000... still not bad for free, might be interesting to play around with...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Was hoping that BlackMagic would put up the manual for the shuttle today... didn't happen... but looking a the specs and looking at the input/outputs it looks like your going to need an extra card in your computer if your going to use the shuttle for off loading the files... it has a usb, but that looks to be for control/firmware upgrades... so the only other outputs are the HDMI and SDI ports... for HDMI I'm thinking you'll need the intensity pro card...??
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:16 AM   #68
Regular Crew

Ray, all you need to do is buy a $30 eSATA / USB dock for your computer and you can just take the SSD out, plug it into the dock and transfer files at ridiculously high speeds (provided you have a good RAID array in your computer).
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #69
Obstreperous Rex

Done. Apologies for the delay.

I need to gather all of the various BMD threads and merge 'em together.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #70
Trustee

Dean, I too am very interested in the BM $350 box. I've got a couple of questions.

1. What are the mounting options for the unit?
2.Did they have any power options on display?
3.Did you find out what the specs/requirements were for the SSD's?

I will probably pick one of these up as soon as they become available no matter what. At $350 it's worth checking it out.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #71
Sponsor: Omega Broadcast

I too found this to be one of the highlights of NAB - and an indicator of things to come.

Many of the specifics on this unit are still up in the air. I know that Blackmagic is compiling a list of SSDs that have been tested, but nothing was available on this at NAB. As a reseller, I'm also working to determine what accessories I'll need to stock to make it a complete solution (i.e. power tap cable, mounting screws).

This is practically a "disposable" recorder at the price.

Since the SSDs are so volatile in cost, I'm holding off purchasing any for my initial stocking order until I get an approved list and know that my order has shipped.

Allan Barnwell
Omega Broadcast Group - Professional Video Sales, Rental & Services
Allan Barnwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #72
Major Player

I find this a strange product at this price point. It seems insanely cheap for the kinds of people who need uncompressed video, and largely useless for everyone else. AFAIK, high end broadcasting is already more than happy with the likes of Panasonic's AVC Intra 100 offering, and the other Sony, Canon systems available. Of course if BM provide smaller data rate options it should fly off the shelves, but for most people it looks - how can i put it - like too much information. I may be wrong, but i find it hard to believe there are many people who really need to capture video at over 400 GB's per hour.

If BM decide to offer smaller file sizes via a firmware update, then this will be a great piece of kit to invest in. For the time being, it looks like a fantastically cheap option for a relatively small number of people at the very high end.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #73
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson View Post
If BM decide to offer smaller file sizes via a firmware update, then this will be a great piece of kit to invest in. For the time being, it looks like a fantastically cheap option for a relatively small number of people at the very high end.
But wouldn't it then be the same as the rest of the recorders out there? Don't get me wrong I would love to see a recorder from BM similar to other recorders like the Nano or the Ninja, etc. but if this was added then the price would probably triple.
All that this product does as far as I understand it is that it brings uncompressed video to a whole new price point. I do understand your point though that the high end isn't asking for such a cheap device. But I think that this is going to be used a lot all across the production segment. Except for the very low end...
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #74
Major Player

Sanjin

"if this was added then the price would probably triple."

Why would that be? surely BM would love to take business from their competitors, and this device with lower data rates would hit the spot. Bring it on!

"I think that this is going to be used a lot all across the production segment."

Still don't understand this line of thinking. High end TV is already very happy with systems like Panasonic's 100 mbps AVC Intra. Who on earth wants to capture video at over 400 Gig per hour?

"Except for the very low end..."

low end like the BBC?
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #75
Regular Crew

Dom, the entire reason the recorder is so cheap is because it does almost no internal processing apart from repackaging the file in a QuickTime wrapper. In order to offer compressed codec options, they've have to fit a powerful processing chip and that would increase the price to around the same as a Ninja.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > BlackMagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle