Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Firmware - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > BlackMagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle

Old May 17th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Firmware

Firmware 3.01 is out, but it only has an improvement for Prores 720p on the Hyperdeck Studio.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Good news. BMD is to add an ExFat file system option to the Shuttle:
Blackmagic Design: View Press Release
This will make life easier for non apple users and allow a completely apple free workflow using DNxHD.
Paul Kapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kapp View Post
Good news. BMD is to add an ExFat file system option to the Shuttle:
Blackmagic Design: View Press Release
This will make life easier for non apple users and allow a completely apple free workflow using DNxHD.
Given exFAT is natively supported on both the Mac and Windows platforms, I would say it is a better option than HFS+. You now have something you can hand off to someone else without having to even ask, Mac or PC?
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Dang it. This was my first complaint about Shuttle. Just laid out $50.00 for MacDrive when I got my new used Shuttle Friday. Good thing about this new announcement is I will be able to offload to my lap top, now, as I don't need another MAC drive program for it--- so may require less SSD cards on a shoot.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:20 PM   #20
Major Player

Could any of you who are using the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 with the exFAT/DNxHD workflow tell me whether the Shuttle records spanned clips? My company has been working with a NanoFlash, which uses FAT32 only, and we'd like to replace it with something that doesn't impose a file size limit on each take. I was guessing that since the Shuttle uses HFS+ or exFAT it can record long takes in a single .mov or MXF. I know this is a very basic question, but I'd appreciate the help since I can't find an answer through Google or a forum search and my local reseller had no clue.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:19 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Speaking of the update, have I missed it somewhere. Or is this just like the BMCC a date really means nothing.
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #22
Major Player

The Hyperdeck software version 3.5 came out a few days ago. It supports exFAT SSDs (and quite seamlessly, I might add). I uninstalled MacDrive, probably never to see it again.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hyperdeck 3.6
I just discovered there's been an update that allows ProRes recording on the Shuttle.
Even though I am not an apple fan, and considering that ProRes is a copy of the DNxHD idea, I tried it and my first impression is it seems to be considerably better than DNxHD, has less noise and better colour.
I'm also appreciating the exFAT file format as I can get rid of Macdrive which was dodgy and unreliable.

This will make it much easier to give footage to clients and avoid compatibility issues.
Not that I have many clients but the most recent shoot I did involved a drama when it came to clients viewing footage on their Macs.
Apple, explain to me why Shuttle DNxHD.mov footage can't be viewed in FCP with the latest Avid codecs installed.

Nice work BMD.
Paul Kapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kapp View Post
I tried it and my first impression is it seems to be considerably better than DNxHD, has less noise and better colour.
Interesting, I've heard the opposite favoring DNxHD. I'll need to test both of them out. DNxHD works in FCP for me, but I feel like the computer has to work harder to play it. Maybe I'm just imagining things.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > BlackMagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle