DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   BlackMagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-design-hyperdeck-shuttle/)
-   -   Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-design-hyperdeck-shuttle/512354-blackmagic-hyperdeck-shuttle.html)

Lee Mullen November 27th, 2012 06:42 PM

Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle

Has anybody here used it? What are your thoughts, and workflow (PC)?

Camera outputs 8-bits so is the end result still 10 bit?

Preston Davis November 27th, 2012 08:15 PM

Re: Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle

Have not used it; the Atomos Samurai w dnxhd codec and AF100 works great for me. Smaller., many more features and when I spec'd the extras needed for the H2 shuttle ( cheeseplate, exterenal battery, monitor) the price became comparable.

Chris Barcellos November 27th, 2012 10:07 PM

I have the Shuttle, and just upgraded its latest software, which now provides it with the lower bit rate ProRes, rounding out a great set of codecs for shooting at various bit rates, all 4:2:2. Works well at all the codec rates.

I shoot it with the VG20, and have attached a large velcro patch to the back side so I can mount it various places, depending on shooting set up and rig. They do sell a mounting piece for a ridiculous price that requires you to remove one of the panels and replace it with the mount. The shape of the thing is ideal for a bottom mount on a camera similar to an xlr adapter, but there is no way to mount it that way, even with the mount plate, from what I can see. The mount plate is really not that practical.

Upgrading is easy, and charging is simple. It also can be powered by external source.

I end up processing my clips to Cineform, and have to do pull down removal for editing of 24 p clips since it only records the raw video .that is coming out of the HDMI at 60i. True 24p is there, but pull down has to be removed. I have suggested that pulldown removal be added, but I am wondering if the hardware on board is not sufficient.

Leon Kolenda December 22nd, 2012 11:50 AM

Hey Chris,

So you process all your clips shot on your VG-20 through Cineform? Does the process of removing pulldown (not sure what that is) make a big difference in the quality of the video? Does that change the Mbps it was shot in? Is it hard to do? How long does it take?

I also have a VG-20, and edit in PPro CS6 Win7 64.

Chris Barcellos December 22nd, 2012 04:05 PM

Leon:

Cineform has been around a long time as an intermediate codec, used for editing purposes. In early days that was HDV, but they adapt to most codecs out there. It is supposed to be a near loss-less codec, that preserves all information in your original footage. Cineform can actually be used to convert you AVCHD footage from your VG20 to that more cooperative editing codec. I edit in Vega Pro, but also have CS5 and it works fine in there.

The lowest level of the Cineform product is free through GOPro. GoPro bought it about a year ago. That lowest version is fine and works with the AVCHD output of the VG20, I have been told. As long time user if Cineform, I had bought the advanced version and kept it updated, so I can also work with the higher rate footage from the Shuttle.

Removing pull down is a simple process that removes frames that have been added into the HDMI stream so it can be played at 60i rate, rather than 24 fps. Removing the extra frames does not affect the quality, as every bit of information is preserved in the 24 frames. I find that I have to do that to edit adequately and cleanly in Vegas. I have not tried to edit original footage in Premiere.

Leon Kolenda December 22nd, 2012 11:25 PM

Chris,

I can edit AVCHD files in PPro C5.5 and 6, So because I can edit AVCHD in PPro, do you think there is a need to remove pulldown? I don't want to go thru another process if it's not necessary.

Thanks for the response.

Leon

Chris Barcellos December 23rd, 2012 01:34 PM

I don't know. I know removing pull down works better for me in Vegas. Haven't tried in Premiere. I'll give it a look this week end..