Specifications of BD Video streams at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:54 AM   #1
New Boot

Specifications of BD Video streams

Hi there,
anybody know new specifications of BD video streams?
The matter is according with Application Definition
Blu-ray Disc Format from march 2005, the video formats which can be used for BD authoring are:

1920x1080x59.94-i, 50-i (16:9)
1920x1080x24-p, 23.976-p (16:9)
1440x1080x59.94-i, 50-i (16:9) MPEG-4 AVC / SMPTE VC-1 only
1440x1080x24-p, 23.976-p (16:9) MPEG-4 AVC / SMPTE VC-1 only
1280x720x59.94-p, 50-p (16:9)
1280x720x24-p, 23.976-p (16:9)

So HDV (mpeg2 1440x1080) cannot be used for BD authoring?????
Anybody can comment this.
Sergey Emelyanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #2
Major Player

HDV within BD specs. All 3 codecs: mpeg2, h264 and vc1. Roxio DVDitHD v6.3 (BD authoring tool) able to import and mux HDV source. Problem with BD players and their firmware. Disc authored in DVDitHD and burned onto Sony BD-R disc is playable on Samsung BD player, but can not seen by Sony BD player:)))
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Trustee

My understanding from doom9 forum is that 1440 x 1080i mpeg-2 is not compliant with Blu-Ray authoring. Perhaps DVDit is first rendering HDV to 1920?
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge Victorovich View Post
HDV within BD specs. All 3 codecs: mpeg2, h264 and vc1. Roxio DVDitHD v6.3 (BD authoring tool) able to import and mux HDV source. Problem with BD players and their firmware. Disc authored in DVDitHD and burned onto Sony BD-R disc is playable on Samsung BD player, but can not seen by Sony BD player:)))
Does Anyone know which Settop Players will read BD-R? You say the Samsung will, is that the new one or the original one? I've heard that the older PS-3 will also play them but that the new/current production of PS-3 will not. How about the Panny Player? Saw one in the box at BB did NOT list BD-R as one of the formats it would read. Sony is obviously stepping up their obsession with copy protection. That is the only explanation for them moving away from BD-R on the PS-3, and not supporting it on their Desktop players. (TO: Sony Most of us are not "Pirates." We only want to be able to use our own HDV footage shot with a very expensive Camcorder and BD-R burner that Sony made lots of money selling to us).
Thanks for any info on which players will support BD-R. (I purchased the new Sony model. Picture was great, but when I read in the manual that it Specifies it will NOT play BD-R, I took it back to BB). Have a Great Day - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
My understanding from doom9 forum is that 1440 x 1080i mpeg-2 is not compliant with Blu-Ray authoring. Perhaps DVDit is first rendering HDV to 1920?
Sounds that there is no reason to edit in the native HDV format. So recompressing anyway...
Sergey Emelyanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Major Player

I have been editing HDV 1080x1440 30i for almost two years now and been making playable Blu-Rays, with menus, since March 14. I use the Cineform .avi for slick editing but the Roxio DVDit Pro HD authoring tool I use returns it to .mpeg. I play on an Sony BDP-S1 and it has no problem scaling the 1080x1440 30i up to the 1080x1920 30p my display accepts. It seems that all the players respond to the "pixel aspect ratio" embeded in the streams.

Here is a link to the Roxio forum's finding on the players/firmware that currently work with BDMV projects (ie those with menus) on BD-R or RE.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/inde...howtopic=20850

All is not sweetness and light on new players however. So far our own projects have AACS (digital rights management) folders that are empty....and that bothers Hollywood such that Sony's newest BDP-S300 wont currently play these discs. I suspect the DV community and software houses will have to prompt the AACS committee to define a "freely copyable" profile in a way that is linked to our content but can't be transplanted to pirated content.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 11:36 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the Link

Hi Don,
I don't know if I missed it, but I don't recall getting an email notification of your response - maybe cause it was after several others... Anyways thanks for the link to the Roxio site listing which players are compatible with BD-R. It looks like the panny model even supports output to dvd-r for testing, so I guess that would be the best choice. Anyone have this player and how does it hold up to the others in terms of PQ, Sound, and speed of loading, etc. Thanks Everyone, and have a great Labor Day weekend - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring