DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   my first blu-ray burning problems. Anyone have any good advice? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/105418-my-first-blu-ray-burning-problems-anyone-have-any-good-advice.html)

Marty Hudzik October 11th, 2007 07:19 AM

my first blu-ray burning problems. Anyone have any good advice?

I finally took the plunge and bought a Pioneer BDR-202 and I am not thrilled yet!

It came with a TDK BD-R and BD-RE.

I have only tired the BD-RE which is clearly marked as 2x.

I cannot get anywhere near 2x speed when burning. In fact the Roxio software reports the media is capable of 2x speed but it actually burns it at 0.8x speed, making a 25GB disk take about 2 hours! I expected 45 minutes and I thought that was long. What is going on?

I have tried it in 2 PCs so far using the sata connection.

The first PC is a DFI motherboard based on the Intel 965 chipset with an intel sata/raid controller. There are 4 sata drive setup in RAID, and the burner is the 5th.

The 2nd PC is an older P4 board with sata on board. On this PC there are no other device attached to the sata controller at all.

To add to this mystery, I had previously tried the Sony BRU-100a in an external firewire case and had horrible performance on a 2x SOny BD-RE. The sony is an IDE drive also. Even when I put it into the PC internally it still wrote at less than 1x. What is up with this?

Is there no way to get a Blu-Ray burner to write at the 2x rated speed to BD-RE media? I need to test my Blu-ray movies before I burn the final bd-r (haven't even tested this yet to see how fast/slow it will be). 2 hours to watch and preview is too long.

Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, I have been building my own custon workstations for my video editing company for 10 years, so I know my way around computer pretty well.

Thanks.

Well I will reply to myself with even more gloom and doom.

I have now officially tired this burner on 5 different PCs, with 3 different software packages.

Cyberlink BD solution
Roxio
Adobe Encore Cs3

The drive never write faster than 0.82x.

I am using the TDK BD-RE media that came with the drive. I have not used a BD-R yet as I don't want to waste it.

Since this happens on every PC I have tried it on, is has to be one of 2 things.

1. A defective drive
2. Bad media. (although I have used bot Sony BD-RE and TDK BD-RE and same results.)

Anybody having any luck with an BD-RE at all? I had to wait 2 hours and 5 minutes for a full 25BG burn last night. That is just too long.

Thanks.

Gary J. Walker October 11th, 2007 01:10 PM

I'm sorta in the same boat, burned thousands of SD-DVD over eight years. I'm using Edius, Roxio sees the files fine and after Blu-ray test burns on (Panasonic BD-R's fro Frys for only $7.99 each)..after authoring in Roxio HD-pro, the disc can not be seen or play thru the Piorneer 202 internal drive, I also just got the Sony BDP-301 player (which I've heard has problems playing) so it will probably be going back to Cosco. In trying to isolate the problem, ie player, discs, encoding etc. etc. I'm serching various sites, and I get back in touch with any finding which may help us. Gary

Marty Hudzik October 11th, 2007 02:06 PM

thanks for the reply. For what it's worth, the disks that I have authored have played fine in my PS3. I just don't want to have to wait for 2 hours to be able to preview it on a regular player and TV to make sure there are no glitches. If I find any, then I have to wait another 2 hours. That is some seriously unproductive time!

Thanks.

David Moody October 13th, 2007 10:09 AM

Is you actual burn time two hours, or does it include the lengthy build of image files and rendering of menus?

I have the same burner with the same discs and it is taking me about 45 minutes of actual burn time when I burn a data disc with Nero.

Because of all the extra build process for a BDMV movie, in Encore it takes two hours or so to burn a movie, but it is only writing for 45 minutes.

Marty Hudzik October 13th, 2007 12:13 PM

The actual burn time is 2 hours. I had already authored the entire project and saved it on the hard drive in a folder. I tried both the Cyberlink burning program and the Roxio software, both with BD support. They both burn "super slow".

The 2 types of media I've used so far are

Sony BD-RE
TDK BD-RE

I have a 5 pack of BD-r from TDK but I hesitate to use them just yet as I am still testing layouts and such.

What exact media are you using? It has to be a media thing as I have tried this in 5 different PCs, all with different sata chipsets. The burn times only vary from 0.8x speed to 0.82x speed across these systems.

Help! Let me know anything you can so I Can track doen this issue. Are you burning BD-RE and getting 45 minute burn times? Or is this for BD-R only.

Thanks
Marty

Marty Hudzik October 13th, 2007 02:07 PM

Downloaded Nero 8 demo....

So far it is going better. I am only 5 minutes into the burn but it says it will take 40 more minutes. So......We'll see. On the other two programs I used it reported 44 minutes but as soon as it started to burn the time would jump up to 1:54 minutes.

I'm holding my breath!

Marty Hudzik October 13th, 2007 04:55 PM

Burned in about 44 minutes flat with Nero. The same media burning with Cyberlink burn software (came with Sony drive) or Roxio (packaged with Panasonic drive) burns at 0.8x.

Hmmmm. Something is amiss here.

David Moody October 13th, 2007 11:11 PM

I am using the TDK-RE and TDK-R

Tim Polster October 14th, 2007 07:22 AM

Hope you guys get this working better.

I am pulling for you and also grateful that you are taking the first steps and sharing.

This new format is going to take a while before things are as smooth as DVD creation as the data amount is a lot larger and we are on the cusp of being ready for prime time.

Good luck