Archiving on Blu-Ray at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old December 18th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Archiving on Blu-Ray

Just wanted to mention my XDCAM disc archival technique. I recently purchased a Blu-Ray burner from Fastmac for around $600. I initially bought it to master on Blu-Ray for a client. Soon I discovered how easy it is to open a recorded XDCAM disc, drag all the contents into Toast 8 and burn an exact copy on a Blu-ray 25GB recordable BD-R for about $10-12 dollars. I discard the jewel case and store the Blu-Ray in a sleeve in a CD storage book, cutting down on a little bit of the clutter in my studio. After, checking the new disc in XDCAM transfer, I then erase the XDCAM disc and re-label for another shoot.

Warren Gentry
Warren Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #2
Major Player

How long does the whole 23gb writing take?

(with / without verify)

THanks

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It takes about 40 to 45 minutes to write. For some reason it gives me an error message when it begins to verify, but I spot check each disc in XDCAM transfer.
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Gentry View Post
Just wanted to mention my XDCAM disc archival technique. I recently purchased a Blu-Ray burner from Fastmac for around $600. I initially bought it to master on Blu-Ray for a client. Soon I discovered how easy it is to open a recorded XDCAM disc, drag all the contents into Toast 8 and burn an exact copy on a Blu-ray 25GB recordable BD-R for about $10-12 dollars. I discard the jewel case and store the Blu-Ray in a sleeve in a CD storage book, cutting down on a little bit of the clutter in my studio. After, checking the new disc in XDCAM transfer, I then erase the XDCAM disc and re-label for another shoot.

Warren Gentry
would your method work with hdv as well and secondly do your discs play on standalone players ok unlike sony vaio burnt discs that only seem to like pc ps3 for playback at present.
Chris Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Chris, Warren copies the whole XDCAM Pro Disk structure to BlueRay, so I cant imagine any standalone Player to play these disks. Its for backup reasons, not for playing...

Warren, is that right?
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thats correct Uli, maybe Chris was referring to the mastering I do for my clients on Blu-ray. At first I had a problem getting them to play on stand alone players, but recently manufactures like Panasonic, Sony and Samsung have come out with updated models and I haven't had a problem. I tested several players at Circuit City the other day and the pictured looked great on all the HD sets in the store.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:00 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Gentry View Post
Thats correct Uli, maybe Chris was referring to the mastering I do for my clients on Blu-ray. At first I had a problem getting them to play on stand alone players, but recently manufactures like Panasonic, Sony and Samsung have come out with updated models and I haven't had a problem. I tested several players at Circuit City the other day and the pictured looked great on all the HD sets in the store.
Which begs the question: what authoring software are you using for masters?
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 05:20 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Shultz View Post
Which begs the question: what authoring software are you using for masters?
warren what i do is edit my hdv material and store the edited material on hdv tapes but as an easy way of playback i capture two tapes per 25gb bd disc with my sony vaio laptop [click to dvd bd]split the films and menu them then burn the disc,brning is a slow nearly five hour job with the laptop.i do not know if the bd discs would play on the new type standalone plyers you mention.they look lovely on the ps3 at least.sorry i should have put this to both warrens.thanks chris
Chris Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #9
Major Player

Which Software?
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I am using Adobe Encore on the Mac to author Blu-Ray DVDs.
Warren Gentry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring