Warner just went Blu-ray exclusive - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old January 7th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #31
Wrangler

"In Blu-ray Coup, Sony Has Opening But Hurdles, Too"

From today's Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1199...ub_marketplace

Quote:
Many analysts believe that Sony's insistence on putting Blu-ray on its PlayStation 3 players gave it just enough extra consumers to help tilt next-generation DVD sales toward Blu-ray. Paul Erickson, analyst at the NPD Group's DisplaySearch research firm, calls it the "X factor" that "saved their Blu-ray fortunes." If Toshiba had underwritten the cost of putting HD DVD onto the rival Xbox 360 from Microsoft Corp., the reasoning goes, the battle might have swung another way.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Paramount also dumping HD DVD Format?

Rumours posted on engadget (citing UK's FT as the source) say that Paramount is also preparing to go Blue Ray only....another nail in the coffin of HD DVD?

Edit: Found the article link

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dc409afa-b...nclick_check=1

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3153038.ece

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; January 8th, 2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: adding FT link to story
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Rumours posted on engadget (citing UK's FT as the source) say that Paramount is also preparing to go Blue Ray only....another nail in the coffin of HD DVD?
Paramount has officially denied those rumors. But then, I'd expect nothing less at this stage. Undoubtedly, Paramount and NBC/Universal have warehouses full of discs they'd like to unload before officially pulling the plug. I'd guess that they'd quietly end production of new discs when production contracts expire, sell off what they have, and then announce a format switch. I'd even go so far as to predict that this would all happen before the end of the year, possibly by summer, but then, that's pure speculation on my part. I have no inside information.
Larry Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #34
Inner Circle

I spoke with Toshiba's HD DVD guy today and asked him if they had an "official statement." He responded that Toshiba is 100% behind the format, and that the other players (Microsoft, the HD DVD studios, etc) were preparing to also give 100% support. No surprises there.

The HD DVD group had canceled their event this weekend simply because they didn't have enough time to coordinate a group response.

In other words, no new news from the HD DVD camp.
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #35
MPS Digital Studios

Blu-Ray was packed Monday, not so with HD DVD. They had HD DVD players with movies at the NBC Universal, Toshiba and Microsoft events, here at CES.

heath
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #36
Major Player

When will these greedy folks learn. It is better to have one larger pie, and lots get a big slice, than two tiny pies.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #37
Major Player

HBO, BBC also on Blu-ray Disc's side

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10240
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #38
MPS Digital Studios

Rumors abound at Variety that Universal is backing Blu-Ray either exclusively or doing both. But they updated it and said Universal has a deal for at least a few more months.

But I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year, or at least the summer (when WB will cease HD DVD releases), that Universal makes a decision.

heath
Old January 14th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #39
Regular Crew

I'm sure they'll switch eventually. Looking forward to Galactica in Blu-ray!
Larry Price is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring