Blue Ray Discs for Archiving mxf.mpg files etc. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old February 10th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
How? I am not too savvy with Vegas but can't see how I can do it. I have the timeline done, go to tools, burn disk, blu-ray disk, but there are no options to really alter other than what is on offer. No "custom setting".
Yes - no customs setting there. But go to Render as..., choose any BD template, modify it to your liking, and save as a new template with its name starting with "Blu-Ray...". It will show up in the drop-down list next time you'll be running Tools-burn BD...

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; February 11th, 2008 at 02:49 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt View Post
Hi Piotr,

What / where is the SCS vegas forum?

I had a search on google but couldnt find anything.

thanks.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/....asp?ForumID=4

You can register, as well...
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Yes - not customs setting there. But go to Render as..., choose any BD template, modify it to your liking, and save as a new template with its name starting with "Blu-Ray...". It will show up in the drop-down list next time you'll be running Tools-burn BD...
Thanks .Works a treat.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #19
Contributor

Quote:
True but what I meant was a solution to build proper blu-ray dvd with chapter menues for clients
Well, I was addressing the subject of this thread. If you were instead interested in Blu-ray DVD authoring for the Mac then there is always Adobe Encore: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/encore/

Carroll Lam
Carroll Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #20
Major Player

OK sorry to get slightly off topic. However you cannot build a blu-ray disk on a mac with Encore. The mac does not support blu-ray for making dvds with chapters.
Old February 10th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #21
Contributor

Quote:
OK sorry to get slightly off topic. However you cannot build a blu-ray disk on a mac with Encore. The mac does not support blu-ray for making dvds with chapters.
I'm not sure why you say that the "Mac does not support blu-ray...." With the external Blu-ray burner I mentioned in my first post of this thread and the Encore software such DVDs can be created.

Carroll Lam
Old February 10th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #22
Major Player

Have you actually made a blu-ray dvd in encore CS3 for the mac, with full chapters and menues, that will play on a PS3?

The reason I ask is because I was at Videofrum in London last week and the Adobe guys said that although Encore was ready, Apple were not and it was not yet supported.

I have been using encore but after authoring I am having to network the ISO file over to a PC to finish off to process.

Toast only supports data blu-ray disks.
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Yes - not customs setting there. But go to Render as..., choose any BD template, modify it to your liking, and save as a new template with its name starting with "Blu-Ray...". It will show up in the drop-down list next time you'll be running Tools-burn BD...
Well, I've burned 1440x1080 from Vegas 8.0b timeline and they play back fine using the Sony PS3. I've tried making a 1920x1080 custom template with many different combinations of framerate with no luck. They error in the pS3 with unsupported format. I now have close to a dozen coasters. ;)
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #24
Contributor

Quote:
Have you actually made a blu-ray dvd in encore CS3 for the mac, with full chapters and menues, that will play on a PS3?
I haven't personally done it but a customer of mine is using Encore and Toast 8 to successfully create PS3-playable DVDs.

Quote:
I have been using encore but after authoring I am having to network the ISO file over to a PC to finish off to process.

Toast only supports data blu-ray disks
It will also copy iso files to a Blu-ray disk. That's how my customer gets his PS3-playable DVDs from the Encore-produced iso file.

Carroll Lam

Last edited by Carroll Lam; February 11th, 2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Added info
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
The mac does not support blu-ray for making dvds with chapters.
What about DVD Studio Pro 4?
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #26
Major Player

Has anyone installed a Blue-Ray Sata drive in a mac pro yet? I've got one coming on Thursday so I'm going to have a crack at it myself and wondered what the mac OS would make of the drive.

Thanks

Paul.
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #27
Major Player

Mike, DVDS4 does not support blu-ray.

Paul. If its the LG, its not supported on a mac.

I have made a lovely blu-ray dvd today of some footage I shot in the garden this morning. Amazing just how many very beutiful flowers are out there when you look. Snowdrops, daffodils, blue iris, and some tiny little things like jewels who's name I haven't a clue!

Anyway I came in, captured the footage, edited it in FCP, brought the footage into Adobe Encore CS3, made some chapters and menues, and burnt an image. Because the blu-ray player ( an excellent LG 6 speed) is PC only, I networked the image over to my PC and burnt it with Nero blu-ray.

Superb image on my plasma. So I can do everythig on a mac except burn the disk. And if you have a mac compatiable blu-ray dvd burner, you are there.
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #28
Major Player

Steve could you let me know in what way it's not compatible? Is it a driver issue? I was hoping the mac OS would be able to see it as it's a SATA device, but if there's driver issues I'll try accessing it using Parallels (running on the mac).

regards

Paul.
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #29
Major Player

If we are talking about the LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Writer, the handbook says its only windows supported. If it works on a mac, fantastic. The software that comes with it is PC only (cyberlink)
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #30
Major Player

Yes thats the one and it looks like your right, I should have researched it better before ordering. The 2 x additional SATA ports on the Mac Pro that can be used for optical drives are not available to windows, either on boot camp or parallels. I really don't want to dig my PC out again just to burn BD-R's.

Looks like I'll have to send it back and look for an external option.

regards

Paul.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring