DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   Blu-Ray help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/118719-blu-ray-help.html)

John C. Plunkett April 6th, 2008 12:15 PM

Blu-Ray help

I recently purchased a Pioneer BDR-202 burner, Sony Vegas 8.0b and a Sharp BD-HP20u Blu-Ray player. Even though the player says it recognizes BD-R discs, every time I try to play the disc in the player it says the disc is unrecognizable. This is one problem. I've tried both MPEG-2 and SonyAVC settings and neither disc is recognizable. The discs I'm using are TDK BD-R25A, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Using Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 which came with the drive I can examine the disc and see that it has the data on it, but as far as being able to playback the disc nothing works. I'm using Corel WinDVD 9 to playback the content on my PC, but it won't read the BD-R disc. I've burnt Blu-Ray content on a standard DVD-R which will playback through this program, but the Sharp player won't recognize that disc either.

I have the ability to return the Sharp player and get a different player of the same price, but I don't know if that's going to solve my problem. After all, if I can't get a BD-R to play on my computer then how can I know that it's the player and not the disc or the program itself? I've searched this forum and others for an answer, but there seems to be a great deal of confusion on the matter.

My main problem is that I have until Tuesday the 8th to resolve this issue, whatever it may be. Does anyone have any information specific to these products that might help me? Also has anyone found that a PS3 or Sony Blu-Ray player is better suited for content created from Vegas?

Douglas Spotted Eagle April 6th, 2008 11:34 PM

Seems to me you've got a disc compatibility error? We have a Sony 2X burner, don't recall the model, and use TY discs. They play wonderfully on our BD300 Blu-ray player and PS3 gamestation.

John C. Plunkett April 7th, 2008 09:06 AM

Thanks for the response. I took my test disc to Best Buy and although the units there didn't have firmware updates, the disc would play on the BDP-S500, but none of the other units. I also tried it in a PS3 and it worked as well so I ended up returning the Sharp player and getting the PS3 instead.

Michael Hazzard April 8th, 2008 12:43 PM

<i>Also has anyone found that a PS3 or Sony Blu-Ray player is better suited for content created from Vegas? </i>

Hello (and Big Thank You) to the forum. I've been lurking here for some time (approx 15 months) while trying to accomplish the HDV camera to HDTV home movie process. Finally made it happen about a week ago. For me, it seems to be an all Sony workflow (HDR-HC3 -> Vegas Pro 8 -> BWU-100A burner -> PS3 playback.

A lot of aspects to this (bit-rates, 50i/60i, file formats, etc...) are still a mystery to me, but the advise and insight found here are invaluable.

To original poster John, the PS3 is working great with BD-R and BD-RE burned from the Vegas timeline. It is a spendy way to generate home movies ($$ for BD burner and BD-R disk prices), but the results are excellent. I am now hoping to configure my DIY video edit station to also act work as Media Server host. That will eliminate the need for burning BD-R or BD-RE.

The PS3 is rarely used for gaming (now that Resistance has been overplayed), but it sure makes for an interesting video integration device.

Just accquired DSE's new Vegas Pro 8 book, so look for me to answer all your questions in the future :-) Thanks again!

John C. Plunkett April 8th, 2008 03:11 PM

I was able to burn a small test disc, 3 minutes in length, but last night I tried to burn a 20 minute Blu-Ray disc and while Vegas was writing the ISO file it stopped at 97%. No image file was written and no error message appeared. This upset me due to the fact that it took 4 hour for Vegas to get 97%. For Vegas to just stop everything and not even give me any indication why is disheartening.

Has anyone else had a similar problem that might know of a way to address this problem or at least point me in a direction that may lead to success?

Douglas Spotted Eagle April 8th, 2008 11:12 PM

Sounds like you ran out of memory? I've seen this a time or two in other posts, and honestly don't have a place to send you to be looking, maybe someone else does.
Swap file settings? I'm shooting ducks in the dark, as I've not experienced this.

Michael Hazzard April 9th, 2008 08:46 AM

It would be interesting to learn if Vegas dumps error logging or fault information to a trace file or Windows event logging subsystem. Developers will often generate this type of info in an undocumented manner.

It is not uncommon for low level unexpected errors to be difficult to propogate back to the GUI/user.

John C. Plunkett April 10th, 2008 01:14 PM

Now for even more confusion. I rendered another image file, same clips and settings as the last one and this time it wrote it. Nothing changed at all from the first time I tried to the last time.