DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   720p50 supported by BlueRay disk ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/124945-720p50-supported-blueray-disk.html)

Ulli Grunow June 30th, 2008 04:57 AM

720p50 supported by BlueRay disk ?

Hi
I would like to deliver my video's in the future on Blue Ray disk.
So I checked what the best video format would be to shoot/edit and deliver considering Blue Ray disk is the distribution media.

I found, that from shooting and editing point of view, I should use 720p50 - so 50 frames/sec progressive (also considering most displays of the viewers are not full-HD, but what they call HD-ready... something like 720p resolution)
My camera is the Sony EX1, which supports this resolution/frame rate.
I am using a windows PC (XP professional 32bit)

I found than Adobe Encore supports Blue Ray authoring at 720p50 with MPEG2 and H264 codecs

But what about the standard consumer BlueRay decks ? What is the best format from compatibility point of view ?

I like 50p, as it gives very smooth picture with quick movements - I often do sport videos.... But I am really not sure, whether 50p is supported by Blue Ray consumer decks

Anyone knows and can advice, please.

regards, Ulli

John Estcourt July 1st, 2008 05:17 AM

hi, dont think 50p is supported, neither is 25p just got hold of sony dvd architect 5 and neither is listed as an option, so all my 25p hdv footage will need to be converted! so does this not make 25p native a waste of time on HDV cameras?

Tripp Woelfel July 1st, 2008 06:13 AM

I can understand that 50p would not be supported in BD, but 25p? That makes little sense since here in NTSC-land the lowly DVD players support 30p. It seems odd that a newer disk format would abandon functionality that major studios utilize and consumers seem to want.

I did a little quick checking around and couldn't find any information to confirm or deny 25p support in BD. The best way to find out for sure is probably to read the BD spec and find out what it will support, then check the specs of some of the commercially available BD players in your area to see what they will do.

I'd read the BD spec but it's a bit dry and makes me sleepy.

John Estcourt July 1st, 2008 07:20 AM

Dvd architect 5 (sonys own new blue ray software) doesnt support 25p!( not according to the preferences) yet its own cameras all film in 25p this if correct would make filming in 25p less attractive.
havent read the specs yet but quick google seems to back up theory of no 25p..ouch!

Garry Miller September 1st, 2009 12:27 AM

Burning a blue ray disc

I am shooting weddings all in SD. I want to offer Blue ray to my customers. How do I get a wedding shot in 720p 50 on to a disc. I edit using Avid Media Composer. Do I have to convert the 720p 50 to 1080i 50?
Why does 720p 50 not go on to a Blue ray? I was at Big W and on the Blue ray movies for sale it said the format on the disc was 1080p is this a fib?
How confusing is this can anyone shed any light on this subject for me.
Thanks guys.

Perrone Ford September 1st, 2009 12:40 AM

EMediaLive.com: The Authoritative BD FAQ: II. Physical, Logical, and Application Specifications

Like any other major video format, BluRay has "legal" specs. Refer to the link for more info.

Brian Drysdale September 1st, 2009 02:25 AM

I know you can't take Wikipeda as gospel, but 720 50p is listed there.

Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perrone Ford September 1st, 2009 06:50 AM

720/50p is also listed at the site I linked to.

Garry Miller September 1st, 2009 06:55 PM

Blue ray

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1297449)
720/50p is also listed at the site I linked to.

I followed the link thanks. I will now piss about with it and see if I can make it work. Garry

Peter Axford September 18th, 2009 04:27 AM

My impression was that 1080 25p and 30p are supported by the BD spec as Progressive Segmented Frame PsF (i.e. the progressive information is in the interlace stream by having two identical fields Progressive segmented frame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Its a cheap way of supporting these progressive formats.