DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   Blue Ray Players (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/126439-blue-ray-players.html)

Greg Harris July 22nd, 2008 11:36 AM

Blue Ray Players

I'm trying to figure out why blue ray players are so explensive still. I thought for sure after the HD DVD vs. Blue Ray war ended blue ray players would go down in cost. I don't know anyone buying blue ray players because of the cost besides having a PS3.

Bill Ravens July 22nd, 2008 02:13 PM

considering that sony owns both bluray patents and playstation, it makes perfect sense. they don't license bluray technology to third party vendors without charging a license fee that protects their PS3 product.

It seems like good marketing strategy, until one realizes that the sustained high price is keeping bluray from really taking off. Bluray disks are ~$20US a pop, which is simply rediculous for random content creation. Until disk prices drop, I wouldn't look for mass acceptance of this format. I have an LG bluray burner and a Samsung P1500 player. Both play very well together with bluray burned on standard DVD. I won't play around with bluray disks because of the price.

Mike Williams July 22nd, 2008 08:29 PM

OK BR on Regular DVD?

You have peaked my interest :)

If I have less than 4gb of BR data I can burn this onto a regular DVD disk?

How many minutes of 720p or 1080p is that +/-?

How did you do this?

Perrone Ford July 22nd, 2008 08:53 PM

Not all players will play BluRay on DVD. Additionally, I don't think the cost of $399 is exorbitant. It's about where DVD was in it's eary days. It'll come down. I am seeing 25GB BRD for about $15 now. That's down nearly 100% from this time last year.

Bill Ravens July 22nd, 2008 09:00 PM

whether you think $399 is exhorbitant, or not, is irrelevant. the fact is that Joe Average American thinks it's exhorbitant. and when it comes to sales, that's all that matters. Furthermore, consumers think exactly like you. prices will come down, so why buy now?

the latest incarnation of sony vegas(8b) will burn Bluray to ordinary DVD's. you need a bluray burner to pull it off. I haven't pushed the limits, but, i would guess somewhere around 25 mins of content at 25Mbps or 45 mins at 8Mbps, on a standard single layer 4.5 GB disk. no menus, simply a fileset that will play when inserted. I haven't tried avchd, just mpeg2.

Tom Roper July 23rd, 2008 12:16 AM

I've been burning Blu-ray onto regular DVD blanks for at least 6 months, maybe more, and HD DVD (the defunct format) for years.

Forget about doing it with Vegas Pro 8.0b and DVD Architect 5.0. I use both programs. Instead download the freeware program TSMuxer. DVD Architect 5.0, while burning a Blu-ray disk, it won't autoplay on the PS3 or have any of the features, menus or chapter stops. TSMuxer also won't do menus, but it does autoplay, does have chapter stops.

Even BD-R media won't play in all the players. This is explicitly stated.

What's really frustrating and sad for me, is all the people who knew so little about it trumpeting Blu-ray to its successful defeat of the HD DVD format, which was much more friendly for creating HD content with menus and features. I lament its passing, but have moved on.

I have all sorts of collaborations in HD that don't need a 25 or 50 gb disk for. About the one thing Blu-ray adds over self authored HD DVD is support for native 1080p24. But don't cry to me about expensive Blu-ray players and media. HD DVD fell all the way to $99 yet had everything in place, whereas Blu-ray was still wrangling with profiles, and maybe still is.

Blu-ray is not expected to surpass legacy DVD for another 4 years. A lot can happen in that time. I'm not a believer that it ever will. But I truly enjoy making Blu-ray disks, distributing them and watching them.

Ray Bell July 23rd, 2008 05:03 AM

Another program worth looking into for Blu ray is DVDit HD Pro...

has alot going for it...

Robert M Wright July 23rd, 2008 07:03 AM

IMHO, If Sony doesn't drop Blu-Ray prices (drop licensing costs) considerably in the reasonably near future, the format may never really take off. The plunging cost of flash memory and attractiveness of internet delivery for HD video content will put a lot of pressure on Blu-Ray.

I have a Blu-Ray burner, and would love to use it for data storage, but the price of the blank disks will have to drop considerably before I do (like a buck or less each). Heck, it's a lot cheaper to just buy hard drives than blank Blu-Ray disks (per GB), and devices like BlacX make HDDs pretty convenient for removable mass storage.

Perrone Ford July 23rd, 2008 10:13 AM

Robert,

I don't think we'll see BluRay prices down at a $1 each for quite some time. Dual layer is still twice that amount and offers less than half the storage.

Yes, the BluRay costs are pretty high per GB, but compared to other archival methods for HD, its not that awful.

Look at this:
http://tapeworld.com/product_detail~...%20Blu-Ray.htm

That's a 25GB disk for 12.99. That's about 2 hours worth of HDV.

Compare to this:
http://tapeworld.com/product_detail~...0DV%20Tape.htm

That's Sony's 1 hr of HDV tape at $9.49. And yes, I know you don't NEED HDV specific tape, but I am trying to offer an apples to apples comparison. Given that, the BluRay is actually cheaper to store 2 hours worth of video.

Even Panasonics Master Quality miniDV tape is $7.99:
http://tapeworld.com/product_detail~...0DV%20Tape.htm

Robert M Wright July 24th, 2008 06:38 AM

I'm not holding my breath for $1 blank Blu-Rays.

When I capture a tape, I burn a copy of the files on single layer DVDs (Verbatim) for less than a buck total (and keep the tape too, of course).

With 750GB drives available at $100/ea, I'm seriously considering starting to keep long term copies of captured video on hard drives now too (in addition to DVD and the original tape) at a cost of a little under $2/hour.

Bill Ravens July 24th, 2008 07:01 AM

Rightly or wrongly, AVID workflow promotes using a dedicated hard drive for each project. The plug and play nature of SATA makes this the perfect workflow, for me. Every project gets its own hard drive, hot-swappable on either my laptop or desktop workstations via sneakernet. For smaller projects, 8-16 Gb CF cards work like a dream, in this workflow.