No Blu-Ray for Macs coming soon..... - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old October 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #46
Major Player

FastMac | Product - Blu-ray Drive Upgrade for your Mac
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post
it makes me sad that i have invested so much $ in equipment (and time researching/learning how to best use it!) so i can produce the best quality video possible, only to be unable to output it. i work in a HDV world but produce an lesser quality product for my clients. even if BD is not widespread, i want to provide my clients with BD in addition to the SD DVD, so that in the future they can use it, and all my efforts at achieving the best quality can actually be SEEN. i know there are 'workarounds' (more $$$...) but i have invested in a 'professional' suite of programs/computers that i would expect should cover something as crucial as outputting to the highest quality format-ASAP!
on another note, i am happy that i didn't wait to buy my macbook pro...
Buy a Blu-Ray burner, get Toast and get going. Or archive to a hard disk and wait. It's not like we can't make Blu-Ray discs now, it's just that Apple isn't including it yet in the base cost of the computer and OS doesn't directly support it. Remember, DVD burners were expensive extras when it first became possible to do it.
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #48
Major Player

This is a great thread - I showed a bunch of friends Golden Compass on blu-ray on 42" plasma and nobody commented how amazing it looked - they just took it for granted -
when i told them it was bluray i just got a blank look - I must agree with those who are saying that bluray hasn't gone mass-appeal yet - most people are getting Sky HD and thats it - - the only people i know who know and watch bluray are the people who like technology gadgets ! Real strange.....
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #49
Major Player

So this is a burner? looks like you cant author anything but you could out put your program to this disc from final cut and keep it in HD quality, of course you would have to have someone else author it for you for distribution it would not work with dvd studio pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Laronge View Post
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #50
Major Player

Toast would be great if it had a authoring program like dvd studio pro but it dose not so it is not a viable solution at this time in my opinion, its a solution but not a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
Buy a Blu-Ray burner, get Toast and get going. Or archive to a hard disk and wait. It's not like we can't make Blu-Ray discs now, it's just that Apple isn't including it yet in the base cost of the computer and OS doesn't directly support it. Remember, DVD burners were expensive extras when it first became possible to do it.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #51
Trustee

Here’s an external burner that’s slower than the FastMac but at least it carries an attractive price of $289.
AMEX | Portable Blu-ray Super Multi Drive for New MacBook

These Blu-ray burners wont obviously work with Final Cut Pro but it will work with Adobe’s CS3 and soon to be released CS4.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
I think your on the money about Apple making a significant error but I also think Sony is doing the same thing by making it such a pain in the @#$@# to license Blue-Ray.
I agree; however, everyone else seems to be biting the bullet and doing it.
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #53
Major Player

$389 for the blu-ray burner actually
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #54
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
$389 for the blu-ray burner actually
I should have paid more attention to the prices at the bottom.

Still not bad considering how portable it is. It would have been a steal if it were at least a 4x.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #55
Starway Pictures

The MCE looks like the right product for me.

MCE Internal 6X Blu-ray Recordable Drive for Mac Pro and Power Mac
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
Toast would be great if it had a authoring program like dvd studio pro but it dose not so it is not a viable solution at this time in my opinion, its a solution but not a good one.
Now take this with a grain of salt since I have never done it but a friend has been very successful making Blu-ray discs... he plays them on his Playstation3 and they look great.

Use DVD Studio Pro to create an HD DVD project. When finished use the Build function to create the data folder. Import that data folder into Toast and burn the disc.

If this doesn't work, please someone correct me.
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #57
Major Player

No one asking for BD?

1) Do you offer BD delivery? Does your competition?
2) Would you like to offer pro looking menus like the ones on DVD SP?
3) How may HDTVs sold before the HD transition "forced" people buy to HDTVs?
4) Given the opportunity to make a few more bucks offering HD delivery of your wonderfull HD footage would you do that?

I can't see why anyone would have any serious reason to defend apple's position here. Let's have a poll and ask what would you pay for an apple BD solution?

$500 for a BD burner?
FCS 3 $500 upgrade?

I would in a minute and think many others here would too. Would apple make money at those prices, I think so. SO what is the flippin issue.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post
1)Let's have a poll and ask what would you pay for an apple BD solution?

$500 for a BD burner?
FCS 3 $500 upgrade?
Count me in. At this point I'm looking at spending $1800 CDN for Adobe CS4 Production Premium JUST to get Encore (It doesn't come solo!) for a PC I'll need to buy at $1200+ just for the PRIVILEGE of being able to author BluRay since my Mac running FCS2 won't.
Old October 18th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #59
Major Player

Shaun, you can BootCamp your mac and attach a BD drive (likely external). Then you're just down to CS4 (and you'll need a Windows license to run under BootCamp). If you get a TLP (Volume Licensing) license you get both Win and Mac codes per license and you can run either one on your Mac.

Regarding Adobe licensing; I can only speak for my region here, but terms are pretty much the same globally (unlike pricing). Adobe Transactional Licensing Program has dropped the minimum number of 'points' to qualify for TLP to 1, essentially making it available for single licenses. With TLP maintenance options also become available, making it easy to keep current.

Upgrades are also available in TLP, of course.

George/

Last edited by George Kroonder; October 19th, 2008 at 05:02 AM. Reason: some bad grammar (there may be more) :-)
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #60
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Laronge View Post
So am I missing something here or what? $529 for a Fastmac with 4x BD-R or $240 for a 6X BD-R?

Newegg.com - Blu-Ray Burners, CD / DVD Burners & Media
Phil Hoppes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring