Sony EX1 to Bluray Workflow. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old October 26th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newman View Post
Drag EX1 files into Edius 5, output to Blu-ray mpeg file from timeline using Procoder 3. Open in Encore CS3, do your design work and burn to disk. Only one coding process - same as DV really.

Paul
If it really is this simple I'm considering switching back to PC based editing. Is it this easy if you just use the Adobe Premiere suite? (No Procoder,no Edius)
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Kevin Walsh, what is your current workflow with EX1 anyway? Are you on a Mac with FinalCutPro? I heard from other forum that they're doing just fine using FinalCutPro for their EX1 workflow. But from what I know, you can't author bluray disc on the Mac with DVDStudioPro (it's only for HD-DVD). Maybe there are other Mac applications to author bluray?

On the PC, we can import the EX1 (mp4) straight to Premiere Pro, edit away, then export to HD-mpeg2, but lot of users don't like it this way. They like to export the movie file first, then use other encoder such as procoder to give you a better quality encoding to HD-mpeg2.
Desmond Sukotjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Sukotjo View Post
Kevin Walsh, what is your current workflow with EX1 anyway? Are you on a Mac with FinalCutPro? I heard from other forum that they're doing just fine using FinalCutPro for their EX1 workflow. But from what I know, you can't author bluray disc on the Mac with DVDStudioPro (it's only for HD-DVD). Maybe there are other Mac applications to author bluray?

On the PC, we can import the EX1 (mp4) straight to Premiere Pro, edit away, then export to HD-mpeg2, but lot of users don't like it this way. They like to export the movie file first, then use other encoder such as procoder to give you a better quality encoding to HD-mpeg2.
1.) Import into FCP using the XDCAM transfer.
2.) Edit in native codec but use Pro Rez for renders.
3.) Export as Self contained Quicktime movie.
4.) Import into toast. Toast will encode and burn the disk. Toast 9.02 with BD plug-in.
so-so results due to Toasts lousy encoder. Artifacts stuttering video.
or
1.) Import into FCP using the XDCAM transfer.
2.) Edit in native codec but use Pro Rez for renders.
3.) Export in Compressor using these settings DAV's TechTable: Apple's Compressor & Encore Blu-Ray
4.) Author in Encore and create a disk image.
5.) Burn in Toast
better results when it works. Problems with buttons, hopefully fixed in CS4
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Kevin. What do you mean by "...better results when it works..."? Do you mean that your second workflow (using Compressor) doesn't always work?

I do agree Encore has problem (limitation) on button. For sure it doesn't support button transition. Yeah hopefully fixed in CS4.
Desmond Sukotjo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring