DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   New blu ray encoder for just $ 40.000! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/136964-new-blu-ray-encoder-just-40-000-a.html)

Jurgen Taghon October 31st, 2008 10:15 AM

New blu ray encoder for just $ 40.000!

Sony Product Detail Page - BAEVX1000

Paul Cascio October 31st, 2008 11:02 AM

And we wonder why Apple refuses to support Blu-ray. Imagine if Betamax had beaten out VHS.

Jay Gladwell October 31st, 2008 11:07 AM

Paul, this is a system for those who want to open a BUSINESS encoding and burning Blu-rays discs en masse for high-ticket clients. This is NOT for event videographers!

From Sony: "How to get your content into the Blu-ray disc format? Sony has the solution - and the new Sony Blu-code Encoder (BAE-VX1000) gives you a scalable, affordable, one-step solution, with customized functions to fit every film studio, production house, broadcast facility or videographer."

Paul Curtis October 31st, 2008 11:13 AM

You can encode bluray in software, in some ways to higher quality than hardware. But for mass production, rushes, dailies etc,. the hardware has it's place

cheers
paul

Jason Bodnar October 31st, 2008 12:36 PM

This is insane... It is just a Software encoder built to run on a 20,000 HP workstation, Not some high end hardware encoder... 40,000 for the software and to run you need a 20,000 computer... Sony is going to hold back the independents for a long time at this rate... Because this will cause a trickle affect even down to the event video guys. No Blu-ray by Apple anytime soon.

Here is the computer they recommend

Sony Product Detail Page - BAEPC1

http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f...code_broch.pdf

Steve Gibbons October 31st, 2008 01:11 PM

The Hauppauge HD PVR will encode Blu-Ray compliant H.264 videos right onto a standard DVD with its included Total Media Extreme software.

Link:

HD PVR Product overview

Workflow:

Dub from EX1/EX3 camera via component through the HD-PVR which is connected via USB to your PC. This will result in a H.264 file on your PC which you can trim, and then burn in Blu-Ray 'format' onto a standard DVD.

Essentially a poor man's H.264 encoder for $250.

SG

Perrone Ford October 31st, 2008 01:19 PM

I have a Lacie external BluRay recorder sitting right next to me. I can record to it from Sony Vegas, DVD Architect, or the program's own software. The entire package including the latest pro version of Vegas and DVD Architect is less than a grand.

Why people keep putting this craziness out there is beyond me. Go look at the price of a commercial DVD recorder if you want to compare.

Nicholas de Kock October 31st, 2008 01:43 PM

Blu-ray won't be in for long according to this:
Posts tagged DreamStream at Engadget
Should put Sony in their place.

Perrone Ford October 31st, 2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock (Post 958173)
Blu-ray won't be in for long according to this:
Posts tagged DreamStream at Engadget
Should put Sony in their place.

Right,

Every major Hollywood studio has just spent millions tooling up to push bluray into market, hardware manufacturers have spent tens of millions tooling up, and now some fly-by-night has come out with a 100GB disk and you think it's going to displace Sony...

Sure...

BluRay is on target to have $100 players by Christmas '09, and $5 discs in the same time frame. I just don't see it going anywhere any time soon.

Tom Roper October 31st, 2008 04:29 PM

ZDNet's Robin Harris calls Blu-ray, "Dead."

Blu-ray is dead - heckuva job, Sony! | Storage Bits | ZDNet.com

Mathieu Ghekiere October 31st, 2008 04:31 PM

These prices, affordable?

And about Blu-Ray: the thing that botters me the most, is that in most of the Blu-Ray cases, they advertise how much room they have on these new discs, yet, they decide to release movies often again without any extra bonus features, just to make the consumer double dipp in the future.

Chris Hurd October 31st, 2008 04:52 PM

I have no idea why this was originally posted to XDCAM EX -- moved to Industry News where it belongs.

David Andrews November 1st, 2008 06:01 AM

This looks more affordable - Firecoder blu -
Recent Press Releases
Said to be available in December

Gints Klimanis November 2nd, 2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere (Post 958221)
These prices, affordable?
And about Blu-Ray: the thing that botters me the most, is that in most of the Blu-Ray cases, they advertise how much room they have on these new discs, yet, they decide to release movies often again without any extra bonus features, just to make the consumer double dipp in the future.

Technically, they're selling you a higher definition product. In practice, it seems that only some movies are capable of delivering HD-level detail. Perhaps this is limited by the display technology as a lot of the detail we see is fake as it is noise, and perhaps my Sony Bravia LCD TV is unable to keep up with such random changes from frame to frame. Compression algorithms also throw out noise. At least the BluRay menus are obviously HD. NBC HDTV and some BluRay movies look a little better than DVDs, but most cable HDTV is just horrible. Jay Leno Show looks very HD. And, the B luRay extras are often 4:3 SD. Perhaps that will change in a few years as behind-the-scenes cameras move to at least HDV, but for the last few years, Sony Z1s are everywhere. At least some movies offer HD interviews with aged actors in HD, but that's not particularly flattering to them.