DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   Will Interlaced Blu-Ray disc have issue on Full HD TV? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/138090-will-interlaced-blu-ray-disc-have-issue-full-hd-tv.html)

John Woo November 19th, 2008 09:42 PM

Will Interlaced Blu-Ray disc have issue on Full HD TV?

I know full HD widescreen TV is only progressive. My concern is that those Blu-Ray disc that I made from below workflow will it has any problem displaying on full HD progressive TV?

My workflow as below

1) Shoot HQ 1080-50i (i am in PAL land)
2) Edit and rendered using mainconcept to Blu-Ray 1920x1080-50i on Vegas
3) Authored and burned to blu-ray on DVD Architect pro on my Vaio Notebook

This I have tested and able to playback on my notebook. As I do not have stanalone BD player and full HD TV, I am not able to test. But from your experience,

A) will I hit a problem with my workflow when viewing on progressive TV?
B) Does progressive TV has the ability to convert interlaced to progressive on the fly?
C) Should I shoot HQ 1080-25p instead of HQ 1080-50i in the beginning?

Sorry if this issue has been covered elsewhere, I just couldn't find it.

Khoi Pham November 19th, 2008 11:24 PM

Your BD player will deinterlaced it, if it is not set up that way, your HDTV will, so either way no problem.

Brian Cassar November 20th, 2008 12:20 AM

I've burned some BR Discs and have seen no problems so far. I use the same workflow as yours except that I use Adobe Premiere and Encore. However I shoot 1080 50i. I'm testing the discs via a PS3.

Robert Young November 20th, 2008 12:32 AM

I thought the coding standard for 1080 BD is interlaced

John Woo November 20th, 2008 02:29 AM

Is it true that most BD player do not recognise BD-RE?

Paul Kellett November 20th, 2008 04:10 AM

What's RE ?

Paul.

Barry J. Anwender November 20th, 2008 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Woo (Post 966211)
Is it true that most BD player do not recognise BD-RE?

Depends on the firmware of your BD player. When I bought the Sony BDP-S300 last fall, it did not support BD-RE. After I took it out of the box I immediately checked the firmware version and it was in need of updating. Downloaded the latest from Sony web site, installed and it now works with BD-RE 25Gb and 50Gb discs.

In 2008 Sony has provided three more firmware updates. So the moral of the story is to keep you BD player firmware up to date.

RE = rewritable (good for testing your menus etc. before committing to a write-once disc)

John Woo November 21st, 2008 01:01 AM

I took my BD RE disc to a shop selling TVs and Players. Put my disc into 1 Samsung and Sony BD player, can see the chapter screen, but when press 'play' button, nothing happened, no image! Guess maybe the player version not able to support BD-RE type. Next I am going to try on a friend's PS3.

Ted OMalley November 21st, 2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender (Post 966282)
RE = rewritable (good for testing your menus etc. before committing to a write-once disc)

Does anyone know what happened to the familiar RW designation for rewritable?

Tom Vaughan November 21st, 2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Young (Post 966181)
I thought the coding standard for 1080 BD is interlaced

Blu-ray discs can be authored (and Blu-ray players must play) video in a variety of formats, including standard definition, 720p 50 or 60, 1080i 25 or 30, or 1080p 24, 25 or 30. The video can be encoded with MPEG-2, VC-1 or AVC (H.264).

If you know you that your primary target for display is a modern LCD or Plasma TV you would be better off shooting in a progressive format. This will avoid the need for deinterlacing. If you shoot 1080i, you can encode the Blu-ray disc as 1080i, and the TV will automatically deinterlace the signal. But deinterlacing always causes some loss of detail, so if possible it should be avoided. If you are shooting normal scenes and people you would be better off shooting 1080p 25 (or 30 for NTSC land). If you are shooting scenes with a lot of action (such as sports), I think you will be better off shooting 720p 50 (or 60 in NTSC land).

Progressive scan has the additional benefit of being a much better source for time remapping (slow motion, etc.).

Tom

Tom Vaughan November 21st, 2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted OMalley (Post 966873)
Does anyone know what happened to the familiar RW designation for rewritable?

The BD folks decided to change it to RE... just to confuse us. They changed a lot of things regarding the formats and the specification books, with separate BD-ROM and BD-RE movie specifications, profiles, etc.

Piotr Wozniacki November 22nd, 2008 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vaughan (Post 967260)
Blu-ray discs can be authored (and Blu-ray players must play) video in a variety of formats, including standard definition, 720p 50 or 60, 1080i 25 or 30, or 1080p 24, 25 or 30. The video can be encoded with MPEG-2, VC-1 or AVC (H.264).

Not quite true - 1080p 25 and 30 are not part of BD specs. As such, they are not handled without recompression to 50 (60)i by most BD authoring program, like DVD Architect.

Arthur Hancock November 22nd, 2008 05:59 AM

I can't help it--I prefer the look of 1080i 60 to progressive; it's all I shoot in. When the customer base for Blu-Ray is large enough I'd like to release on Blu-Ray. Will my 1080i footage be OK?

Piotr Wozniacki November 22nd, 2008 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Hancock (Post 967349)
I can't help it--I prefer the look of 1080i 60 to progressive; it's all I shoot in. When the customer base for Blu-Ray is large enough I'd like to release on Blu-Ray. Will my 1080i footage be OK?

Sure it will, Arthur. I've been delivering on BD for quite some time now, and am absolutely happy with the results.

Arthur Hancock November 22nd, 2008 06:25 AM

That's great, Piotr. 24P is so widely praised I'm almost ashamed to admit I prefer the look of 1080i. While I like the buttery smoothness of progressive it just sems to me that I lose that razor-sharp detail I get with 1080i.

I was hoping to release my current project on Blu Ray but it looks like I'll have to release in SD initially. I just don't see the customer base for BD yet. I really hope Sony doesn't blow this one!