Problem playing an edited Blu Ray on a PS3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old December 6th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Barry , you may want to try a different authoring program to verify if it is your authoring program. I have DVDLab PRo 2.0, Ulead Video Factory, for SD and for Bluray DVD Architect 5.0, Adobe Encore CS3, TMPGenc Author 4, Sony Motion Browser ( came with my SR11) they will all produce Bluray or SD DVD that play on the PS3 with re-writable or write once discs. I normally get the authoring program to write directly to a re-writable to check first and then use Nero to actually burn any copies to write once media. All work on my PS3. I can only think that your problem is DVdit HD.
The initial PS3 firmware would only play BDAV ( no fancy menus) but the latest( and for some time) will play all types of Bluray discs.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #17
New Boot

blu ray ps3

It doesnt help you with your problem, but I make a blu ray dvd folder in Adobe encore, then navigate to the folder on my hard drive and then burn the blu ray file to a standard dvd data disc. The ps3 plays it as full HD..i get about 18 mins onto a dvd.
Allanj Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Wilkinson View Post
We tried re authoring from Sonic DVD authoring (my original information was second hand and not correct..sorry) and had exactly the same fault code.The disc was authored on DVdit HD pro....obviously further research will be necessary. Annoying as I bought the PS3 to play our authored BD's. The good news is that it plays movies/ authored DVD's/ and games fine. I will report back when we sort it out. My business partner used to be a top technical manager for Maxell so has all the technical knowledge to solve this problem if it is solveable. Cant see why Sony should stop you playing authored BD's . The problem is that if we supply a completed project to a customer it may be played on a PS3 so we need to know if this will work.
Sony's burners are $400 whiile third parties' are half that price. That is a good reason to stop supporting other brands on a PS3 :) But apparently they didn't according to the testimonies in this thread.
Kadafi Marouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #19
New Boot

blu ray and Asus mobo

Just a bit more info....If you have a ASUS motherboard using Nvidia chipset, then you will experience problems using any of the LG Blu ray burners. After reading various posts on various sites about this problem, I contacted LG tech support who first denied this on the phone but then later confirmed this in an email. Their advice was a work around changing to the microsoft drivers.....I have yet to find anyone who can confirm this will work. Also on the PS3 situation....I have recently been in contact with a wedding videographer who aquires in HD and burns to Blu ray with pinnacle and he says the only clients who experience a problem with play back are the ones who are using a PS3.
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanj Jones View Post
Just a bit more info....If you have a ASUS motherboard using Nvidia chipset, then you will experience problems using any of the LG Blu ray burners. After reading various posts on various sites about this problem, I contacted LG tech support who first denied this on the phone but then later confirmed this in an email. Their advice was a work around changing to the microsoft drivers.....I have yet to find anyone who can confirm this will work. Also on the PS3 situation....I have recently been in contact with a wedding videographer who aquires in HD and burns to Blu ray with pinnacle and he says the only clients who experience a problem with play back are the ones who are using a PS3.
Does he also use DVdit HD? One other point is that if any burner firmware is not up to date it may create errors for new disc types not covered. Keep your burners up to date or don't suddenly use the latest and greatest super fast burning discs.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #21
New Boot

The guy tells me he is using Pinnacle ultimate edition but I am not familiar with its use myself.
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanj Jones View Post
The guy tells me he is using Pinnacle ultimate edition but I am not familiar with its use myself.
Again the version is important too. Ulead and Pinnacle were early with consumer products to burn Bluray with DVdit being the first( I think) of the professional products. I believe all of these early products came out before the final specs had been solidified for BD-R/RE authoring of BDMV menu driven discs. So the version being used is critical to performance. Sony in fact did not release DVD Architect with Bluray burning until the current version 5 just this summer though Vegas could burn a Bluray disc from the timeline for sometime but would be a BDAV disc. Sony is very particular about meeting the specs so the early PS3 would not play BDMV disc to ensure that only simple home ( BDAV) Bluray could be played rather than pirated discs I think,this was also true for their normal Bluray players too. At least that is my understanding. So there are then two issues. One with the PS3 needing an appropriate firmware ( at least one that will play BDMV on BD-R/RE) and the authoring program version being up to date as far as the spec is concerned. Lots of room for issues there!!!!! I think the biggest problem though is the authoring programs meeting the specs for BDMV on BD-R/RE burned discs. DVdit HD may well have been used professionally to create Bluray disc for replication in which case the problem of BDMV on a BD-R/RE disc would not arise.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring