DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   Need Help: 8.0c Hangs/Disappears on Blu-Ray Render (8.1 is just fine) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/141090-need-help-8-0c-hangs-disappears-blu-ray-render-8-1-just-fine.html)

Steven Reid January 7th, 2009 01:34 PM

Need Help: 8.0c Hangs/Disappears on Blu-Ray Render (8.1 is just fine)

Problem overview: rendering ~15 minute HDV project to MPEG2 (1440-1080 24p Blu-Ray template) causes Vegas 8.0c to simply vanish (quit) at ~2 minute mark. Seems largely independent of RAM preview, rendering threads, bit rate, and quality. 32 bit color depth -- not 8 bit. Video only -- no audio.

System: Q9550, Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate, 8GB RAM, separate OS/proggies, media and rendered HDDs. Full specs are here if you want more details.

Project: HDV 24f from Canon XH-A1 dropped into and edited in 1440-1080 24p project template. MB Looks on all clips, some have color correction. A few titles (Pro-Titler) and project-sized PNG graphics sprinkled throughout on separate video tracks (i.e., composited).

Problem Specifics: I started with 4 rendering threads and RAM preview at 512MB (I think) set in the preferences/video tab in 8.0c. Rendered fine and then 8.0c just disappeared after about 2 minutes -- got a clean desktop and no warning. Tried suggestions from here and Sony forums: dropped RAM preview in increments to finally "0", dropped rendering threads from 4, 3, 2, and finally to 1. Dropped bit rate in BluRay 1440-1080 24p MPEG2 rendering template from 30,000bps to 25,000bps (default), and dropped "quality" slider from 30 (maximum) to 15 (default). I also tried closing the preview window.

The only slight difference that ANY of these changes had was reducing RAM preview: the point at which rendering stopped, and 8.0c vanished, increased by a few seconds in the project. Otherwise, 8.0c stops at the same point. There are no pictures, no fancy effects (other than those mentioned above), nada at this point. I zoomed into the "problem" region and rendered only that section, taking care to sandwich the problem point in the middle. Rendered with no problem, so I know it's not something specific to my project at that point.

I rendered the same project in 8.1 to completion with no problems whatsoever. Of course, MB Looks disappeared (no 32 bit plugin allowed). All 4 cores maxed to 100%. 8.1 snacked on this project.

Same project back in 8.0c renders to completion with no problem to DVD Architect 24p Widescreen NTSC template, at 8,000,000 bit rate.

So would someone come forward and tell me that I'm missing something so obvious that is preventing me from rendering my project using the BluRay template above? Some little check box that I forgot?

Yes, I know can render sections to Cineform or some other format, and then stitch together the resulting sections. But criminy, 8.0c is supposed to spit out my BluRay MPEG2 file without so much fuss, right?

Open to suggestions or knocks on the head.

Thanks,
Steve

Steven Reid January 7th, 2009 03:16 PM

JOY UPDATE: I think I found one culprit (assuming there are more than one). I changed project properties from 32 bit color to 8 bit. With that change, rendering went to completion without a single hitch. As expected, too, it was much faster.

Reason I used 32 bit color was for the more film-like dissolves/fades and slightly richer-looking color. But looking at the rendered file from the 8-bit project play on my 30" monitor I'm blown away -- looks very good! Maybe I'll stick with 8-bit for Blu-Ray projects.

So why is 32 bit color a problem here? Instead of a problem, it may be symptom of something else going awry...but what?

For now, it looks I found a pseudo-solution, but I'm uneasy because I don't know why it's a solution.

-Steve

Jeff Harper January 7th, 2009 03:38 PM

I have found issues with 32 bit rendering on some projects and not on others also. Never found a reason. I've just accepted it will happen sometimes.

Steven Reid January 7th, 2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 990790)
I have found issues with 32 bit rendering on some projects and not on others also. Never found a reason. I've just accepted it will happen sometimes.

I have a hunch that's where I'm headed in my thinking, too. Thanks for the reply and confirmation.

Steve