XDCAM EX to Blu-Ray Using Toast 10 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old February 12th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
I have dropped a mov straight from the camera via clip browser into Toast 10 Blu-ray and it has seen it and burnt it.
Steve-How are you using Clip Browser to copy clips to Toast? Finder doesn't show the blu-ray disk and shows everything grayed out in the Toast folder.

I could just add the files from within Toast, but I'm looking at the "To archive media from an SXS card to hard disc or other media, the Sony XDCAM EX Clip Browser application must be used" warning in the CB manual. Using an LG external blu-ray burner.
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
I have dropped a mov straight from the camera via clip browser into Toast 10 Blu-ray and it has seen it and burnt it.
Steve-How are you using Clip Browser to copy clips to Toast? Using an LG external blu-ray burner, Finder doesn't show the blu-ray disk and shows everything grayed out in the Toast folder.

I could just add the files from within Toast, but I'm looking at the "To archive media from an SXS card to hard disc or other media, the Sony XDCAM EX Clip Browser application must be used" warning in the CB manual.
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #33
Trustee

Mike:

1) Use the Clip Browser to copy your files from the SxS card to your hard drive. (this is the process Sony wants you to use)

2) Now you have a BAPV folder on your hard drive.

3) Launch Toast 10 and create a new disc.

4) Drag your BAPV folder into the Toast window

5) Burn disc

What Sony DOESN'T want you to do, is copy your files from the SxS card to your hard drive using the Apple Finder. They want you to do it using the Clip Browser software. (as shown in Step 1)
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #34
Major Player

Thanks, Mitchell. I'm copying files that have already been copied onto an archive hard drive and wanting to get the extra insurance with a blu-ray disk as well. So I'll just drag them in.
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #35
Trustee

I'm almost positive that's your only option Mike.

The only other thing I could possibly think of, if you want to be extra, extra, sure that your data is in good shape before you copy it...... You could run a disc maintenance program on your hard drive before you copy the files. It will fix any errors with your files. Then when you drag them into Toast, you can feel better that they are "perfect".

But honestly, I think that would be a waste of time unless the files are really old, and are on a hard drive that has had lots of data written to it and then deleted and then rewritten, etc...

In addition, if I remember correctly, Toast does some error correction on your files as it prepares to burn the disc. But check out the manual before you take my word for it. :)
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #36
Major Player

Just tried it using the + function; brought the files into Toast and burned a bd-re 25gb and they open fine in XDCAM transfer and then into FCP. Going to try a DL disk next. Thanks.
Old February 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #37
Major Player

I did my edit in FCP, then exported as a Quicktime, then brought that into Toast.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #38
Major Player

I import into FCP with Sony Clip Browser, edit, export as a quicktime, bring it into Toast and out via the Blu-ray plugin. Works a treat.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #39
Tourist

Netblender might fit this space

Hi all

Read through this whole thread. Learned alot.

I'm just now sticking my head back in to HD authoring after having been burned as an early adopter in the HDDVD camp. As above, one name I have not seen in this discussion thread is Netblender. They have a pretty cool authoring package, in my opinion. It is Windows only, at least for now. But it does offer a nice feature set for the price.
I got a chance to meet and get to know the company at a seminar they did. I found them all to be hard working excited guys.

I think they have something that fits in this BD authoring space pretty well.
Jeff Bach
Jeff Bach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring