DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   Blu Ray burner brand advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/142745-blu-ray-burner-brand-advice.html)

Jeff Anselmo January 30th, 2009 12:40 PM

Blu Ray burner brand advice

Hi Folks,

Getting ready to upgrade our PC, and just wondering which Blu Ray burner brand I should get? Saw this ad:

Lite-On DH-4B1S-13 Lite-On DH-4B1S SATA Interface Blu-ray Disc Writer

And I've heard of the Pioneer brand (from Videoguys) being good as well.

Best,

Tripp Woelfel January 30th, 2009 06:54 PM

I don't have any knowledge of that unit. My short list had the Pioneer and the LG on it based upon reviews and feedback. I didn't get the same comfort level with Lite On, but I have no facts that would indicate it's a lesser quality.

I got the LG and although I've only burned six disks thus far, every one has been golden.

Adam Gold January 30th, 2009 09:31 PM

I'm with Tripp. I have the LG as well and it's been perfect from day one, and very reasonably priced.

Jeff Anselmo January 31st, 2009 10:55 AM

Thanks Guys,

Will have to look into the LG and the Pioneer then.

Best,

Gary Bettan February 12th, 2009 08:52 PM

Pioneer BDR-203 8x Blu-ray burner now in stock!

Once again Pioneer, the world’s leader in Blu-ray Disc, has raised the bar for features, performance and value. At just $229.95 the BDR-203 is the most affordable Blu-Ray Disc writer we’ve ever sold.

The BDR-203 Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer is the next generation Blu-ray Disc Writer from Pioneer. This BD/DVD/CD Writer will write up to 8x on BD-R (25GB) and BD-R DL (50GB) media. This writer allows users to test & author high-definition Blu-ray Disc content while also delivering the ability for high-capacity data storage. The BDR-203 can read BD-ROM and BD-ROM DL, read/write single and dual layer BD-R & BD-RE discs, read DVD-ROM, and read/write most DVD and CD recordable media formats.

* 8x maximum writing speed on BD-R & BD-R DL media
* Write up to 50Gbytes on one BD-R DL disc (that’s more than 10 single layer DVDs)

Videoguys' Blu-ray Disc information and Blu-ray Bundles featuring the Pioneer BDR-203 Blu-ray burner

Gary

Bryan Daugherty February 12th, 2009 11:56 PM

What about the SONY brand burners? What do you guys think of the SONY burners?

Nicholas de Kock February 13th, 2009 12:13 AM

Lite-On is still a good brand itself, all my DVD writers is Lite-On and I've never had a problem. I'm looking at the "external" LG at the moment however if thats too expensive I'm just going to get a Lite-On. I have never been overly impressed with my LG writers though, I always judge a writer by how smoothly the door opens and of course if it never breaks.

Philip Younger March 2nd, 2009 05:05 PM

Sorry if this just adds confusion but I have both the LG and Lite-on and would say there's little, if anything, to choose between them

Craig Irving March 4th, 2009 08:30 AM

I have a first-gen Sony Blu-Ray burner, the BWU-100A. It's good. I don't use it much.
It may not be the fastest on the block nowadays, but it will still burn a 50GB disc....and since I use it so infrequently, the amount of time it takes to burn a disc is not too concerning.

However there's much faster SATA ones now, like the BWU-200s and (I believe) the BWU-300S.