mpeg2 vs H.264 for blu-ray export / author at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 20th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

mpeg2 vs H.264 for blu-ray export / author

i personally hate mpeg. too much compression! i will tell you, i had the JVC HD7 HD video cam for about 2 weeks. it is a small cam, GREAT quality! i returned it because it wasn't the best at all in low lighting and i was experimenting. the JVC file format is *.TOD which adobe couldn't read / couldn't edit. those files were no good and i didn't want to take the extra step to transcode files that were captured to the camera's hard drive! if that was the case, i will still shoot tape and capture. anyway, i used nero 7 to create a DVD and it burned the TOD files to M2t files. the blu-ray it made is OUTSTANDING! so that is where i got the idea of getting away from exporting to mpeg2 files for blu-ray in encore cs3, which are compressed way too much. the quality of that smaller cam with M2t files blows away my $3000 Canon XH A1 cam which was encoded to mpeg2. i hate mpeg2.

what are you guys exporting to in order to get a great - looking blu-ray. yes, i know, get the best settings during recording. all that aside, just wonder what you are using settings-wise. for my blu-rays i have been using mpeg for blu-ray CBR 25.

thanks,
Steve
Steve Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

For Bluray I use Vegas encode for DVD Architect, MPEG2 VBR, average 25mbps, max 30mbps, min 15mbps. Encoding from Vegas from a Canopus HQ file or HDV takes just less than realtime and results in a file a little smaller than the HDV CBR original. I can usually get more than 2 hours on the Bluray with quality just like the original HDv file.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #3
New Boot

Re: mpeg2 vs H.264 for blu-ray export / author

hello,
if i dont have canopus but only cs4 and encore, then how can i make or recapture to .mt2 so that i
can try and use nero 7 to make bluray dvd files to play on any bluray player...
just thinking of experimenting like i read from the original post
Shaun Desouza is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring