DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   EX3 User, about to buy a Blu Ray Burner..need some help... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/146803-ex3-user-about-buy-blu-ray-burner-need-some-help.html)

Shawn Dooling March 27th, 2009 11:46 PM

EX3 User, about to buy a Blu Ray Burner..need some help...

Hello all, a quick question to those of you burning Blu Ray DVD.

I am wanting to buy an External Blu Ray Burner and i was wondering if any of you could recommend what you think is the best model to get. It will be used on my MacBook Pro and New Mac Tower.

Workflow would be
Edited EX3 Footage to Encore to Toast 10 to Blu Ray Burner.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You

Shawn

Mike Chandler March 28th, 2009 06:25 AM

I'm using this LG with a mac. Not very fast. Works fine now, but had to return the first one as it just up and died after 3 days. Roxio Toast 10 works nicely.

Amazon.com: LG BE06LU10 Super Multi Blue - Disk drive - BD-RE / HD DVD-ROM combo - 6x2x6x/3x - USB - external - LightScribe: Electronics

Barry J. Anwender March 28th, 2009 06:38 AM

You will find some good reviews done at:
Hardware > Optical Storage > Blu-Ray writers & players

Given that you will be using Encore, hopefully CS4 (??) you will also need to check into Adobe's Encore Support forums. Some folks are finding that not all Blu-ray burners work as advertised or at least not with Encore. You can get around this by using Encore to build a Blu-ray disc image and then use Toast to burn the image. I find this latter approach to work best as it seems to me that Encore's burn engine is still rudimentary compared to Roxio's Toast.

I use the Sony Blu-ray BWU-200S burner inside my MacPro because it is capable of X4 writing, which makes burning times more manageable. Sony now has a 3rd generation BWU-300S out for about six months. In my experience, these Sony burners are reliable and compatible with Encore CS4 as well as toast. YMMV

Perhaps others can share what burners they are using as well as their experience with your set up. Whatever the case beware as this technology is far from mature. At the very least, you will want to make sure that burner and player have the latest firmware updates. There are several manufacturers who only support the most basic implementation of the Blu-ray specs. Cheers!

Mitchell Lewis March 28th, 2009 06:43 AM

We have the LG external USB blu-ray burner. Model BE06LU11

But there's a new Pioneer out that's just as fast (maybe faster, I can't remember for sure). I would have gotten the Pioneer, but it wasn't available when we bought ours.

Olof Ekbergh March 28th, 2009 06:50 AM

We have been using the Lacie FW drive now for 6 months it works great as does Toast 9 with HD upgrade.

LaCie - Blu-ray

Mitchell Lewis March 29th, 2009 07:24 AM

That's a pretty good deal from LaCie. It comes with Toast 9 software instead of Toast 10. You'll need both the Toast 9 software AND the Toast 9 blu-ray plug-in ($19.99) but the Toast 9 plug-in is no longer available for download from Roxio. So make sure that LaCie either provides the Toast 9 blu-ray plug-in or they are now shipping with Toast 10.

I bought Toast 9 and waited too long to install it. Toast 10 came out and they discontinued the Toast 9 blu-ray plug-in. I called them and my only option was to buy Toast 10 at a reduced price. I wasn't thrilled, but it worked out in the end.

Tim Palmer-Benson March 30th, 2009 03:02 PM

Toast 10 and chapters

Is anyone having trouble exporting FCP QuickTime Pro Res Video with Chapter markers to Toast 10? I am able to burn and playback, but Toast's Chapter's don't appear when played back on a Sony BDP-S350 which I have updated to play Blue Ray on a DVD-R. There are quite a few posts on this on the Roxio forum.