Blu-Ray on a DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 27th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Blu-Ray on a DVD

Is it possible to burn a Blu-Ray video on a DVD and will it play on a Blu-Ray player? I have a short video 45 minutes, encoded it as a blu-ray mpg2 with low enough bit rate to fit on a dvd (4.2 gb), then authored it in Adobe Encore. Except when I try to burn it as a blu-ray it wants a blu-ray drive, when i switch the destination to dvd then it wants to re-encode it (which I assume means down convert it to standard def which I don't want). So if I build a blu-ray folder can I use a burning software such as Nero to copy it on to the dvd?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #2
Trustee

Yes, you can. I've done it by building a disk image file (.iso) out of Encore and then burning that to a DVD using ImageBurn. It works. It should also work with Nero but if it doesn't you might want to download ImageBurn and try that. It's free and works well.

From what I've read, 45 minutes might be a bit long for the capacity of a DVD. Such a low data rate might result in some significant artifacting, but it's worth a shot to see if it works for you.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Pete: do a search of this forum, there was JUST and exhaustive discussion on EXACTLY this topic, including some of the "heavyweights" around here sweating the details in ALARMING detail.
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
Yes, you can. I've done it by building a disk image file (.iso) out of Encore and then burning that to a DVD using ImageBurn. It works. It should also work with Nero but if it doesn't you might want to download ImageBurn and try that. It's free and works well.

From what I've read, 45 minutes might be a bit long for the capacity of a DVD. Such a low data rate might result in some significant artifacting, but it's worth a shot to see if it works for you.
After I made this thread I found another forum with info on how to do it. Btw is that you? The user has a similar name Can I burn a Blu-Ray to a DVD? I tried it, building a bluray folder in encore and then using ImageBurn to burn that folder to a dvd with UDF v.2.5 but when I played it on friends ps3 it didn't recognize it. edit: today I burned an iso and that didn't work either

I was able to fit it using 12 mb bitrate. I know its low just wanted to see if it would work. I viewed the mpg in a vlc and the quality looked surprisingly good.

Shawn: i didn't do a search here just glanced at the most recent threads. I'll have a look see. hmm can't find it what the thread's name?

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; May 29th, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring