Toast says Video is 18gb bigger than it is at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 24th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Toast says Video is 18gb bigger than it is

Hey all,

Have a bit of a problem and was hoping someone else out there has had the same issues.

Just got Toast and a Lacie d2 and am trying to burn my first DVD.

The sequence is just under 30 minutes. The MPEG2 video file is 3.45gb big and the AC3 audio file is 40.6mb.

I imported the files into Toast and it says the sequence is 3 hrs, 49 minutes long and 24.59gb big. Needless to say, it won't burn.

I have been trying to problem solve all morning and cannot find the error. I even re-exported the M2V file. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Are there any words of advice re: where I should look to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Dumb question: are you SURE you're grabbing the MPEG2 files in Toast and not the AIC or ProRes files (given the reported file size, it SOUNDS like AIC sized QuickTimes to me).

Edit: just reread. Not sure if that's the issue if Toast is reporting 3 hours+
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Yep, I'm sure.

The confusing part is that I used the same Compressor preset that I have used for other sequences, and the other sequences have come out fine.

I did put chapter markers in the sequences since I wanted to export a DVD copy at the same time. Perhaps this is the problem. It is the only difference between that sequence, and other sequences that came out fine. I'll try reexporting without the markers and see.

Edit: Took out the chapter markers, re-exported, and the problem is still happening. I am absolutely perplexed as to why this is happening.

Last edited by Matthew Craggs; August 24th, 2009 at 09:09 PM.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring