Matsushita HD Blu-Ray cam in '05 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 10th, 2004, 01:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Matsushita HD Blu-Ray cam in '05

Camcorderinfo's newest frontpage article right now says that Matsushita has anounced that they will have a Blu-Ray cam available in '05. Most likely HD, and from Panasonic. Sony also announced that they have one in the works, but would not confirm a timetable. The cams will use 8cm, 15(?)GB Blu-Ray discs, so if it's HD it will have to be HDV compatible to fit on 15GB media. Maybe Panny realized that the P2 system is still too expensive to bring to prosumers, and decided on this to help the format along?
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2004, 01:22 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Here's the article online:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-and-Matsushita-to-Release-Blu-ray-Camcorders-in-2005.htm
Deron Bauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2004, 06:03 AM   #3
Major Player

i wonder if the decide to make a pro version as well, maybe use the full size blu-ray thus increasing the bandwidth? imagine HDV @ 50mbs
Anhar Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Blue Ray is not backward compatible, si? You can't play your old dvds.

HD-DVD holds more data and is backwards compatible, from what I understand. Let's see if they can out-market Blu ray.
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #5
Major Player

If memory serves...Blu-Ray capacities are already at 52GB, and technbologies are currently being developed to bring that # up to 200GB. HD-DVD is stuck in the 30GB range if it wants to retain compatability with current DVD manufacturing systems. Both have recently adopted MPEG4 encoding to fit more video material on those discs. HD-DVD might also be moving to blue laser technology now. I don't think we'll know which is better until they finalize the formats, but for now Blu-Ray looks better...more expensive...but better. Blu-Ray players will have a red laser inside to read old discs.
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #6
Trustee

I haven't been keeping up to play on the latest developments in this area, but the thought of having a moving disk in my camcorder sounds a bit dodgy. Does anyone have any information on the reliability of it?

Aaron
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:37 PM   #7
Major Player

We're only going to know the reliability after people have used the tech for awhile. We can, however, observe current DVD camcorders and see how well they hold up as the tech is highly comparable. Anybody (electronics retailers) have numbers on DVD camcorder repairs/returns versus tape based camcorder repairs for Sony Hitachi and Panny?
Old October 12th, 2004, 11:40 PM   #8
Major Player

HDV is tape only per the spec.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 07:44 AM   #9
Major Player

Right. That's why I said that HD on 15GB disc media would be "HDV compatible". It would be the same HDV MPEG2 signal recorded to disc. Many people speculated (correctly, it seems for now) that Panasonic wouldn't adopt/endorse the HDV spec mostly because they want to move away from tape based recording.
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #10
Skyonic New York

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Struthers : Let's see if they can out-market Blu ray. -->>>

I don't think they will have too work to hard at that, once users see one disc at 2-1 bucks and the other disc at 10 bucks the market will correct itself...

current dvd production lines can be convereted to hd-dvd lines in 5 minutes, blu ray needs all new manufacturing techniques keeping costs higher...

another way to look at it is always bet against sony and new media formats
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:52 AM   #11
Major Player

DVD manufacturing can be converted to HD-DVD manufacturing very easily, but only for 30GB discs. If they want bigger discs, like Blu-Ray's current 52GB, then they have to change all the production lines anyway. Sony, et. al. are also already in the process of creating a 200GB 8-layer disc.

Newest devleopments in this format war are HD-DVD using a blue laser, and Blu-Ray going MPEG2 to fit even more HD video on disc.

Maybe we'll see a trend like Beta/VHS where Blu-Ray goes Pro, and HD-DVD is a consumer format, or HD-DVD will work for a few years at 30GB, and then we'll move right into 200GB Blu-Ray in 2009.

but that would disprove this wise axiom...
"another way to look at it is always bet against sony and new media formats"
Old November 15th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Blu-ray already is pro.

I am currently shooting on Sony XD CAM which uses Blu-ray at DVCAM quality (80 min PAL) or IMX which is higher quality at the expense of disc space.

Aaron, I don't think you need to worry too much about the reliability of a disc system compared to tape - these things are RUGGED. Plus no head wear, condensation issues, accidental erasure, head cleaning etc, etc.

And the discs can be re-used thousands of times. Unlike the domestic version XDCAM discs are housed in a cartridge for their own protection.

What's not to like?

Mark
Old November 15th, 2004, 12:49 AM   #13
Major Player

Blu-Ray is already pro, but the real question is, will it trickle down to consumers, or will the easy to produce 30GB HD-DVD format take that market over for now. I think Blu-Ray will remain the pro format, and HD-DVD the consumer format, just to stick it to everybody, and force the pros to have to buy twice the equipment.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring