DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   Blu-Ray authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/467703-blu-ray-authoring.html)

Syed Imtiaz November 13th, 2009 06:37 PM

Blu-Ray authoring

Is it possible for a imovie HD (version 6) project to burn on blu-ray? I am editing the video in HD 1080i-30f in imovie and would like to burn create a BR disk as well as regular DVD with chapters etc. What is the best way to accomplish this? I've burn many regular dvd in imovie to play on regular dvd by exporting my project to iDVD. If I export my project to quicktime and import that file in toast, would that work? what compression rate do I need to keep the project in? any help in this would be greatly appreciated.
p.s I already have BRD burner pioneer 205.
thanks
Sid

Paulo Teixeira November 17th, 2009 04:24 AM

I don't use Toast so I'm not able to help much except to say that you should use h.264 and the highest bit rate possible.

Martin Mayer November 17th, 2009 05:52 AM

You'll need Toast 9 or 10 (with Blu-ray plug-in) and you should export from iMovie in the best quality possible - or at least the same format as you edited in, to minimise any quality loss.

To begin with, I would let Toast do the encoding, for minimal hassle. (i.e. I suggest you DON'T encode/export from Quicktime as H.264, rather let Toast do the encoding to H.264 itself.) Later, when you're experienting with "ultimate" quality, you can perhaps encode before Toast.

The best bit-rate will be about 26Mbps - but that is selected in Toast.

Export your iMovie files as individual video tracks, put them all into Toast, and it will generate a onscreen menu with thumbnails. You can specify a background graphic for the menu:

http://www.mayer.demon.co.uk/images/ac_BD_Menu_1a1.jpg

The latest Toast version 10.0.4 recognizes chapter markers from FCP within each video track too, but I'm not sure if/what it does with iMovie markers (if such things exist!)

Jonathan Bufkin November 17th, 2009 08:36 PM

Does Toast give you an option to change background pic in your menu?

Jon Iannacone November 18th, 2009 11:13 AM

What are the results in Toast

So, keep the file at the original format without compressing in compressor or whatever. How long does Toast take to do the encode?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Mayer (Post 1448451)
You'll need Toast 9 or 10 (with Blu-ray plug-in) and you should export from iMovie in the best quality possible - or at least the same format as you edited in, to minimise any quality loss.

To begin with, I would let Toast do the encoding, for minimal hassle. (i.e. I suggest you DON'T encode/export from Quicktime as H.264, rather let Toast do the encoding to H.264 itself.) Later, when you're experienting with "ultimate" quality, you can perhaps encode before Toast.

Export your iMovie files as individual video tracks, put them all into Toast, and it will generate a onscreen menu with thumbnails. You can specify a background graphic for the menu:

The latest Toast version 10.0.4 recognizes chapter markers from FCP within each video track too, but I'm not sure if/what it does with iMovie markers (if such things exist!)

Jonathan Bufkin November 19th, 2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Bufkin (Post 1448796)
Does Toast give you an option to change background pic in your menu?

Nevermind, I figured this out using this tutorial

Michael's Mac - How to Create Custom Toast Menu Styles

Syed Imtiaz December 4th, 2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Mayer (Post 1448451)

Martin,
This is what I am doing..
I created the project in imovie 6 (1hours 30mins) and exporting the entire project in quicktime under best quality. Within Quicktime I chose H.264 compression settings. I started this process yesterday about 8pm and this morning it was halfway there. Taking way too long.
my system is mac pro 3.0 quad core, 6gig mem and plenty of disk space.
So you are saying that I should let toast encode in h.264? Can you give me some steps? sorry for so newbie questions.
You stated export my files individually, the files I have are as one project with background music transistions/effect etc; do I need to break it down?
Thanks for your help.
Sid

Nate Spencer December 5th, 2009 10:27 PM

some thoughts

"So you are saying that I should let toast encode in h.264? Can you give me some steps? sorry for so newbie questions.
You stated export my files individually, the files I have are as one project with background music transistions/effect etc; do I need to break it down?"

I personally do not like H.264 within toast. Maybe your quad core can chomp it. I found little difference between MPEG2 and H264 on bluray except much less encode time at least with Toast.

Basically, I export to Apple Intermediate Codec from Final Cut Express. I tend to do eithe weddings or home videos. So I gravitate toward a file per event. Ceremony vs. Reception. Each is its own .mov file using AIC encoding.