Need advice: External Blu-Ray burner for Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Trustee

Need advice: External Blu-Ray burner for Mac

I need to purchase an external Blu-Ray burner for my MBP and I'm having a hard time finding one here in Sydney Australia.

The only solution that I have found is to purchase the: LG BH08 Super Multi Blue / Blu-ray / BD-RW / Internal SATA Drive and then purchase a Welland 3.5 USB/ eSata enclosure.

There has to be another option somewhere?

Can anyone offer some advice.

Thanks
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #2
Major Player

I have this burner, and it works fine with short movies, but I get error codes when I try to burn a longer one. So it's not really reliable. The system requirements of the burner only mention PC, not MAC. But the Mac recognizes the burner and works for short movies. Don't know why longer ones won't work. Just asked in this forum.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Personaly I bough an external version of the Pioneer 203 and I'm happy with it. It has both Firewire 400 & 800, USB 2.0 & eSATA connections. Now the Pioneer 205 is out, it is faster (anyway it is safer to choose the slowest speed for burning Blu ray I think). Check it there:
OWC Mercury Pro FW800/400+USB2+eSata BluRa... (MRF8BDSD12X) at OWC
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Major Player

I have the previous version of that LG drive (i.e. GGW-H20L) in an external case with a SATA-to-(USB2 and Firewire 400) bridge. Works fine connected to Macs via either USB2 or FW400. You'll need Toast (with the Blu-ray Plug-in).

The GGW-H20L is still available new on eBay for half the price of the latest model.

You say "There has to be another option somewhere?" - what is your concern? price? compatibility?
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Major Player

I finally got the LG Super Multi Blue to work properly, well almost. It keeps giving error codes and aborting burning for longer movies, but there's a workaround that works: I make a disk image via Toast first and then burn this image via the 'copy' command in Toast 10. Then everything works fine. I use Panasonic disks.

For added security, I switch all other running apps off ans disable the screen saver while burning.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring