DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   Longer movies won't burn to Bluray on LG-burner (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/470525-longer-movies-wont-burn-bluray-lg-burner.html)

Luc De Wandel January 6th, 2010 01:48 AM

Longer movies won't burn to Bluray on LG-burner

Longer movies, edited in FCP , converted to QT, won't burn on my external bluray LG-burner. Short movies: no problem.
I get this error code from Toast 10:

- The drive reported an error
- Sense key = medium error
- Sense Code = 0x10
- Invalid block size for command.

Does anyone know what this means and how to solve the problem?

Marty Welk January 6th, 2010 05:50 AM

knowing i will get to have all these errors eventually myself :-)
i searched the web and the only advice i see is the idea that the device (burner) doesnt like the media (disk), or the speed of the burn or whatever.

then there was a pointer to here
Sense Key/Code error for Mac products

suggestions were also to try and write out the full image to a hard drive First, that way you could test to see if it is other issues , like running out of space for the temps and all.

one person had a faulty burner itself, or again a burner that just wouldnt work with the media , and his new one put him back on track.

also i noticed in one LOG file from a person with the problem, thier underrun feature on thier drive was either off or unsupported, which goes along with the idea that a Buffer underrun could have been happening. That gets complex, but really great DVD burners with primo underrun capability could handle too slow of data transfer easily. Also an external using various "port" items on computers/laptops like USB and Firewire, can use more CPU than an internal item to do a data transfer. So give the burn all you got, even if it seems like it will be fine.

see if any of that helps , i donno.

Luc De Wandel January 6th, 2010 08:53 AM

Hi Marty,

thanks for the advice. The burner is fed via USB and a USB HUB. I'll start with feeding it directly, perhaps that's a possibility. An writing the complete image to disk first is probably also a good idea. I'll keep you posted.

Luc De Wandel January 7th, 2010 02:30 AM

I tried a few of the remedies - not all at once, so as to keep an overview - and when I tried to change the write speed, I noticed that the choice is limited to 'auto' or '2X'. Is this normal? Moreover, the 'buffer underrun protection' is not even highlighted, so I cannot select it! It is selected in the non-highlighted text, but is seems odd that there is no choice.

Of the advice given in the link you sent me, two options are already dead. Tried the past night with write speed '2' and still got the same error codes.

I'm now going to try to put the original QT-file on a faster disk.

One more question: in the Bluray project, there are two files (two QT movies of 30 minutes each). Would it help to merge them into one QT-file?

Martin Mayer January 7th, 2010 09:30 AM

Have you tried asking on the Roxio Toast support forums?
----
Edit: ignore that! I've just seen that you have! Good luck!

Tom Roper January 7th, 2010 02:53 PM

I don't know how pertinent this can be as I'm a pc user, but I have internal LG BH020 burner inside a 5.25 inch sata enclosure for USB connection to my laptop.

I've had no issues burning the full disk (25gb). The one problem I had was that with Nero it would not burn at the maximum speeds 8x for BD-R or 2x for BD-RE.

I switched to ImgBurn (a free burning app and said by some to be the best in the world), and I have to agree. It burned a full BD-RE 25gb at 2.4x in about 30 minutes, and for whatever reasons is just faster and more reliable than Nero. The LG also burns cheap 2x BD-R at 8x, nice!

I have heard that you can't burn at the full speeds with USB drives, but that has not been my experience.

My last purchase of generic offbrand 2x inkjet printable-to-the-hub 25gb BD-R cost $3.13 each, and have been reliable, fast burns, a pleasant surprise.

Thomas Moore January 7th, 2010 06:31 PM

What type of media are you using?

I tried to use Memorex on an internal LG drive and couldn't get it to work. When I talked to their tech support they said that Memorex wasn't "supported" They gave me a list of the ones that were - sorry don't remember the whole list but do remember that Maxell was one of the ones that was supported - and I have used.

Sony was also one of the ones as I have a RW that works.

Tom Roper January 8th, 2010 01:20 AM

These were Microboards Technology BD-WIJ-400, 25gb, 4x (I lied earlier, thought they were 2x) white inkjet printable to the hub, 25 pk spindle, were $3.13 ea, and I'm sorry I don't remember who the online vendor was.

Luc De Wandel January 8th, 2010 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Moore (Post 1469298)
What type of media are you using?
Sony was also one of the ones as I have a RW that works.

I'm using Panasonic disks (rewritable). The strangest thing is that I tried to write another movie of 30 minutes today and that worked flawlessly. So there must be something in the Quicktime file of the first movie that causes the error codes and the breakdown in burning. I'm beginning to think that neither the drive nor Toast is to blame, but there is some fault in the QT-mov.file.

However, I printed the same mov.file to HDV-tape today, using FCP and my camera as a deck, and I didn't find any glitches in the movie. So the mystery stays...

Luc De Wandel January 15th, 2010 01:01 PM

I finally got the LG Super Multi Blue to work properly, well almost. It keeps giving error codes and aborting burning for longer movies, but there's a workaround that works: as suggested here, I make a disk image via Toast first and then burn this image via the 'copy' command in Toast 10. Then everything works fine. I use Panasonic disks.

For added security, I switch all other running apps off ans disable the screen saver while burning.