DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   Can anyone recommend an external case for a SATA bluray burner? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/475255-can-anyone-recommend-external-case-sata-bluray-burner.html)

Damian Heffernan March 21st, 2010 05:43 AM

Can anyone recommend an external case for a SATA bluray burner?

I bought a Pioneer Blu-ray burner and got an external case for it (esata and USB) but I think the case is a cheap and nasty (well it was cheap) as I've made a couple of DVD coasters and one BR coaster ($8 ouch!).

It gives an error saying something like unstable connection and aborts the burn. I have it plugged in via USB and am only trying to burn at slow speeds. I don't have a way to hook up esata to the macbook pro. I'm thinking there might be a firewire option but I'm finding it tricky to find a good Sata external drive case.

Any suggestions/experiences?

Noa Put March 21st, 2010 06:35 AM

LG N2B1 Super-Multi NAS Reviewed

the lg n2b1 maybe? has 2 one tb disks build in and one BR burner

Damian Heffernan March 21st, 2010 07:35 AM

Thanks, awesome looking piece of kit but too expensive for me.

To clarify, I have a SATA Pioneer Blu-ray burner but since I'm editing on a macbook pro I need an external case to put it in and I'd prefer firewire 800 if there's such a thing available. At a pinch I'd look at buying an express card adapter for using the e-sata port.

Phil Murray March 21st, 2010 09:17 AM

I have a Vantec NexStar DX (NST-530SU) enclosure that I got as part of a package with a Pioneer BDR-205 burner from Videoguys. It has worked fine for me, though I use the USB connection rather than eSata. I am also thinking about getting an eSata expresscard adapter to use it with my laptop.

Installation was painless and it seems quite secure and solid. Haven't had a single hiccup yet through my desktop.

Adam Stanislav March 21st, 2010 11:38 AM

I, too, use the Vantec NexStar DX from Videoguys, and am very happy with it.

Damian Heffernan August 10th, 2010 10:50 PM

Just a quick update. I bought the Vantec NexStar DX and it has been faultless, runs beautifully via esata and usb.

Harry Simpson August 11th, 2010 03:41 PM

Same enclosure too. I was wondering it says it's 12x BR burner but my DVDA 5.0 only allows for 2x burn rate. What am I missing here??

Adam Stanislav August 11th, 2010 06:33 PM

Maybe the discs you are using are limited to the 2x burning rate? That is actually quite common with BD-R.

Harry Simpson August 12th, 2010 07:04 AM

That may be it Adam....they were the Verbatim 25G that came with the VideoGuys bundle....With DVDs I've always heard you'll make less coasters if burning at slower than the burner's top rate. Would this hold true for BRs too?

Adam Stanislav August 12th, 2010 12:44 PM

I have not had a coaster with the Verbatim BDs yet (knocking on wood). I always burn at whatever rate is on the box.

Harry Simpson August 13th, 2010 01:23 PM

Adam I checked the Verbatin BRs discs and they are 4X but the DVDA 5 only showed that I could burn at 2X wierd eh.....I also noticed last night that the "project" saw the video as Interlaced whereas the render was to 1080p but no complaints the movie looked fantastic on my 1080 HD TV from the Blu-Ray player.....