My first H.264 encode. What a PIG!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Major Player

My first H.264 encode. What a PIG!!!!

Well, the time has come, and my costumers are asking for Bluray. I've since bought the CS4 suite for such an occasion. I also thought i'd be smart, and archive last week's wedding to BluRay..

I simply opened up Encore, imported the 6 hour long sequence. Set an H.264 8.5vbr Kbps encode for a 1440x1080P 30 fps source (HDV).
It was a total of 6 hours of footage...

Holy CRAP!!! Over 24 hours later, with my HP workstation crunching with fans running at full blast!!!!
Never again!

I haven't even tested out a burn to see if it's within BluRay specs...

But nonetheless, there's two things i've walked away for the better..

A) I am very impressed with the quality of encode at 8.5Kbps of H.264. It is very sufficient for my needs.
Anything more than that, is a waste of bitrate. (I'll cross my fingers for a good burn next).

B) I definitely need to step up and get a hardware solution for my encodes. Perhaps even buying another PC, as mine is getting older..It's an HPwx9300 with two DualCore AMD opterons...

Is there any suggestions for speedier encodes? I don't mind investing in another computer, but i truly believe that software is not the answer...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I just bought one of these since I burn to BluRay regularly:

http://www.videoguys.com/Item/Matrox...423F485D4.aspx

Can't comment on how well it works yet.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Perrone....

I've already got a Matrox RT.X2 Le card. Unfortunately, i've got no more PCIe slots left. Only PCI-X slots..

Nevertheless, i've seen this hardware before, but never looked deeper into it. There's also the CompressHD cards, but like i said, i'm out of PCIe slots..

Perhaps a render computer, and hardware encoder are in order.....
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring