Bluray video on hard drive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old September 27th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Bluray video on hard drive

My client has media center computer connected to LCD screen and plays all rented Blurays on it; there is a problem with my Bluray disc produced for him (pixels, skipping) and he wants to play content of my BD directly from portable USB hard drive. How can I produce such compilation with chapters and menus to be played by Cyberlink PowerDVD player??? Please advise. Thanks in advance,
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Cyberlink PowerDVD has issues with correctly authoured BluRays playing from HDD...
They seem to believe that there's copyright infringement happening..

Although you can playback the .mt2s streams, you can't emulate proper menu buttons and actions.
I can't help you beyond that..

Good luck with finding this piece of software..
Otherwise, try burning slower, or use a good quality blank...

The issue of freezing and skipping should be dealt with at your end...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks; I use TDK media and Verbatim at x2 and 15Mbs mp4 using Sony Vegas DVD Architect; I guess these are one of the best media I can get.
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #4
Major Player

I stick with Mpeg2....Even at bitrates of 18mbps, i've got no issues with quality, and the encode times are something i can live with.
15mbps of h.264 seems steep for my tastes...
Perhaps his playback device chokes on those bitrates..I'm sure that even the Hollywood movies aren't that high...

Good luck!!!
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Peter,
What settings do you use for mpeg2?
Old September 28th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Major Player

I use a bitrate calculator to push the settings to the max.

Usually, a 2-3 hour wedding gives me about 18mbps..
I'm currently shooting HDV at 1080 30F.
I'm not bothering with interlaced anymore...

I also let Adobe Encore do my encoding..It seems to be fussy and not allowing outside encoded .m2v files..

But it's all subjective.
Let your eyes be the judge.
Old September 28th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Major Player

well...so why do you think that my 15Mbs is too much info for player if you use 18Mbs; would mp4 @ 15Mbs be so different than Mpeg2 @18Mbs? I started compressing with mpeg2 but after a year I switched to mp4 which in my opinion is much better and universal
Old September 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Major Player

No....
It's not more universal..Not for your BluRay question.
MPEG2 for BluRay is still King IMHO.

The H.264 codec that creates your .MP4 file allows for better compression efficiency then a video made with MPEG2...

So, if you've got 10 minutes of video on a Bluray, there shouldn't be any difference between viewings..
There's plenty of bitrate and space to go around.
But if you bump up the hours, to say 5 hours of footage, then H.264 wins hands down...

But don't forget, the encoding times take twice as long with H.264, and people like me with older computers would rather use MPEG2....

As far as your question on quality is concerned, it depends on the source footage..
You'd be surprised at some of the bitrates of Blockbuster DVD videos..The pictures are beautiful, and the bitrates are surprisingly low...
It's because they're using progressive footage shot with expensive cameras, and don't need to waste unneeded bitrates to scenes that have no action.

Do a test sample of 2 minutes of video, and come back with your results...
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #9
Major Player

I learned it hard way not to put more than 2.5/3 hours on BD; ALL cases with pixelation or skipping disc were after approx. 1hr 30 minute mark when laser were moving out towards the edge of disc and it follows the track with different speed, at that time reading was sometimes unstable; I rather divide the footage and spend $3 extra on another BD than redo it...

I started with mpeg2 when I begun my adventure with HD but very quickly I noticed that problems were solved when I switched to mp4 and lower compression. I do a lot of Indian weddings were there is such incredible amount of details to compress (on their saris for example) that mpeg2 compression would have to be at 25mbs (and even my BD player couldn't handle that); I can achieve same amount of detail when using mp4 (two pass @13MBS). I do weddings and it is impossible to fit entire wedding on one BD because there is dancing footage on it and mpeg2 @ even 18mbs couldn't handle it.

Going back to my original question I guess I will consider using mxf files on the usb hard drive so customer can play it using vlc player. Any suggestion which format would be best?
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring