Sony's Blu Ray prices - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old February 13th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak
Probably $30-40. I don't even want to think about what Criterion is going to charge.
Did you read the article I linked to? $30-40 is way over what Sony has said, according to Cinescape.com:

"The company will wholesale their titles for $17.95. New-release Blu-ray discs will wholesale for $23.45, a premium of 15%-20% over what suppliers were charging for new theatrical DVDs."

heath
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #17
Trustee

We know what they will cost, a few $ more then the current tech, because they are new. Just the same as every other piece of consummer goods on the planet. Is this even relevant? What are we "home entertainment weekly"? Does anyone care that Big Momma 2 is going to be $3.99 more than the regular DVD? Please!

Lets ask something that might actually be relevant to us HDV users! Whats the cost of a burner, and whats the cost of a player and the cost of the BLANK medium?
I have heard that Blue-ray will be higher in $ in all catagories, especially blanks. Anyone know?
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #18

The burner at CES was anticipated at 1k or so, and the blanks have already got a set price of around $40.00. They're only useable in XDCAM tho, right now. They're also rewriteable.
Cost of a player *right now*? There isn't one.

Play Station3 will be the first player, and they're anticipated at a retail of $399.00, and consumer set tops showed at CES at a retail of around 1K.

This is considerably less than CD burners cost when they were first released, and still cheaper than DVD burners when they were first released. I'd anticipate we'll see prices drop by year end just as we did with DVD burners.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #19
Trustee

Any idea of the equivalent HD-DVD prices?
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #20

There isn't an "equivalent" because HD-DVD is significantly smaller, but the blank HD-DVD disks are expected to debut around $15.00. I'm sure we'll see those sub 10.00 by year end as well.
At CES, they said around $25.00, but that was before the BluRay retail price announcement on the home movie side of things. Since then, I've been hearing all sorts of price drops on HD DVD. Toshiba is fairly desperate to own the market, and have gotten very aggressive. I'm sure the BD consortium will respond somehow.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #21
MPS Digital Studios

Prices will go down faster than DVD-Rs and burners did because of the use. Just the same as HDV will become a common standard faster than DV did.

heath
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
The burner at CES was anticipated at 1k or so, and the blanks have already got a set price of around $40.00. They're only useable in XDCAM tho, right now. They're also rewriteable.
Are these the discs which come in a cartridge? Are they removable from that cartridge? I wasn't clear on this from anything I've seen so far - will this turn out to be similar to the DVD-RAM/DVD-R situation?
Evan Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I'm not really looking at Blue-Ray or HD-DVD to deliver content (that's something for the future). Putting WMV-HD (or another flavor of MPEG-4) on a standard DL DVD seems like the most compelling here and now, lost cost solution, at least to me.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #24
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
The burner at CES was anticipated at 1k or so, and the blanks have already got a set price of around $40.00.
Thanks douglas, that's what i was fishing for. The first quote which you directed me back to was about feature films on blu-ray, not about blank (or as I called it, 'storage') media. I wasn't asking a question with an obvious answer, in my defense.

Just want to clear that up. I try to be somewhat thoughtful about my posts, but I appreciate being kept on my toes :-)
Tony Torn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
Prices will go down faster than DVD-Rs and burners did because of the use. Just the same as HDV will become a common standard faster than DV did.

heath
I would hope so. Recordable DVD cost a lot when it was introduced, but there was a grand total of one drive available at launch. BD and HD-DVD look to have several models each of drives as well as standalone decks in the pipeline. I know the prices are high to begin with because companies feel the need to recoup R&D costs immediately, but hopefully competition will quickly bring prices down from the stratosphere.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #26
Major Player

I agree. 8 gigabytes on a < $2 disk will hold a feature film and more. If only there was a dvd like menu system to make it look more like a dvd as far as glossyness.
-Les

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
I'm not really looking at Blue-Ray or HD-DVD to deliver content (that's something for the future). Putting WMV-HD (or another flavor of MPEG-4) on a standard DL DVD seems like the most compelling here and now, lost cost solution, at least to me.
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I haven't tried it yet, or even read up on it either yet, but supposedly you can create menus with DivX that should work with DivX certified devices.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring