Sony announces 5.25 internal blu-ray burner shipping this fall at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #1
Wrangler

Sony announces 5.25 internal blu-ray burner shipping this fall

Quote:
The new drive(model BWU-100A) supports up to 50 GB of data on BD-R (write once) or BD-RE (rewritable) discs or up to four hours of high-definition video using HDV 1080i on a BD-RE 50GB disc. The new drive is capable of burning a full 25GB disc in about 50 minutes.

For personal content captured on a HDV camcorder, the BD drive is optimized for keeping the video in the native HDV 1080i for playback on home players compatible with BD-AV format and PCs with BD drives installed.
Here is the link to the full press release....

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/23478.html

-gb-
Attached Images

Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #2
Trustee

I'm totally amazed by how quickly the new DVD technology is being deployed. A BR burner for $750 in 2006. Who could have guessed?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Aggressive pricing and, for an HD/BD product, a pretty early release. If this thing reliably burns 50G discs and burns a proper HD video disc without too much fuss... this will hurt HD-DVD. I don't even like Sony, but their product honestly does look better and the pricing is in line to get the non-rich early adopters looking.

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #4
Trustee

cheaper than $1,000 stadalones... =). 3-5 years before these types of drives hit $100?
Old July 20th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Also means we can start storing our SD DV AVIs on a more accessible medium, up to maybe 4 full tapes per disc. That'll be nice....

Looks like we'll also be able to 'store' our HDV video, although unless you edit in native format, it still would need to be converted to an intermediate format...

I'm so excited I actually smiled!

Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #6
Trustee

What about the Pioneer Blu-ray burner that has been out for over a month now?

http://www.videoguys.com/pioneer.html

I know it looks like it is only single layer but this has been out long before the SONY burner. It has been possible to burn blu-ray disks for a little while now. The problem was that until recently there was no way to play those disks. As far as I know there still is no software player that will work with blu-ray movies.

The SONY does look like a better burner but it is not the first one out.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Vanecek
Also means we can start storing our SD DV AVIs on a more accessible medium, up to maybe 4 full tapes per disc. That'll be nice....

Looks like we'll also be able to 'store' our HDV video, although unless you edit in native format, it still would need to be converted to an intermediate format...

I'm so excited I actually smiled!

Matt
Agree. Both BR and HDDVD will provide whole project storage, DV clips and all (and some smaller HDV projects if I trim the clips, etc). I have a drawer full of Hard drives I'd like to replace. It can be expensive, but its better than having to recapture the media (which takes up time and adds wear to equipment).
Old July 20th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Storage Storage Storage................ I'm so excited. I can stop hooking HD's up to my computer.
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Sony states that this drive comes with software for Editing/Burning:

Cyberlink® PowerProducer™ BD/DVD Authoring Software
Cyberlink PowerDirector™ Editing Software
Cyberlink Power2Go Data Burning Software
Cyberlink InstantBurn™ Packet Writing Software
Cyberlink PowerBackup Backup Software
Cyberlink PowerDVD™ Player Software
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
What about the Pioneer Blu-ray burner that has been out for over a month now?

http://www.videoguys.com/pioneer.html

I know it looks like it is only single layer but this has been out long before the SONY burner. It has been possible to burn blu-ray disks for a little while now. The problem was that until recently there was no way to play those disks. As far as I know there still is no software player that will work with blu-ray movies.

The SONY does look like a better burner but it is not the first one out.
Agreed, Thomas. I wasn't suggesting the Sony was first, only announcing their entry into the market of internal BD burners. And an impressive entry at that.

Standard DVD and CD media have been considered unsuitable for archival purposes and I think BRD will change that. The professional discs, used in the XD cams and based on Blu-Ray are estimated via lab testing to hang on to your data for 50 yrs. Those discs however, are only storing 23gb per disc so it looks like they are sacrificing space for data integrity, much like mini-dv vs. dvcam.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Based on spec sheet (pdf) it only supports mpeg2 encoding, not vc1. Is that a software or hardware issue?
It doesn't garuantee commercial packaged vc1 playback at high bit rates either. Probably not a problem, but worth noting.
Old July 20th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #12
Regular Crew

That's great news. I don't know if the sales from low budget producers will be so great until there is a definite answer on which DVD format (HD or Blu-ray) will replace the other. Which format would you choose?
Justin Tomchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Sony States on the website, in the footnotes of the drive specifications:

"* Playback of commercial movies on Blu-ray Disc (BD-ROM) requires additional software/hardware not included with this product. Requires compatible high-definition display for high-definition playback. Playback of AACS protected media may require an HDCP compliant output and HDCP compliant display. Photo CD playback requires additional software not bundled with this drive."

I wonder how this will affect us?

Is HDCP available for computers?

I assume that our monitors are not HDCP compliant.
Old July 20th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Some of the newer graphics cards and lcd monitors have hdcp built in. My current doesn't though (rage 850xlt).
Still, at least it's a start.
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #15
Trustee

joe,

BR is hardware. VC1 is software. that means you can burn VC1 onto DVD-R's as well as long as the BR player plays DVD-R. likewise you can burn SD-DVD's onto BR as well or even CDR's. hardware&software can be intermixed to a degree.

dan, geforce 7950 has HDCP i think. HIS's newer radeon 1600 cards are also HDCP and some even have HDMI.

not all LCD displays are HDCP, in fact only a fraction are. dell's 2407, 3007 are 2 examples of LCD"s that are HDCP compliant via their DVI.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring