Blu-Ray at Best Buy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 9th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Blu-Ray at Best Buy

All,

I dropped in to Best Buy yesterday and they had a Samsung Blu-Ray player ($999) playing on to a 1080p Samsung LCD ($3000+), and boy it looked pretty nice.

They had some scenes from Chicken Little, and without question those were the best to show off the format. You could resolve so much detail, it was pretty amazing. I didn't see any noise or artifacting. Other movies - Pirates, Sahara, etc. - looked good, but it wasn't as big a difference.

Best Buy took down the HD-DVD display and replaced it with Blu-Ray, and the salesman was definitely pitching Blu-Ray as better. He said HD-DVD came from a 1080p source, but wasn't true 1080p, though he couldn't back that up with anything meaningful.

On an interesting note, he said that they still didn't have any cables rated for 1080p, and that the one they were using might have had some signal loss.

In a clear demonstration of them not being on commission, he suggested I wait a year and let the format wars settle. I might. Tough to drop $999 on a format that has 25 titles.
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

A year? I don't think so - it will take much longer than that, we may actually get stuck with both of them as both of them have advantages and disadvantages. Even if it's again a "Sony against the whole world" story (VHS versus Beta, episode 2), Sony is stubborn enough and has enough money to extend this war for years, in my opinion.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:53 PM   #3
New Boot

This might come as news to some, but Sony's stock has been sinking fast over the past 2 years. If their PS3 isn't a hit and I don't think it will be based on price and hardware overkill, then Blue Ray's demise could follow. I don't hate Sony's products, just their "do as we say and nobody gets hurt" attitude towards consumers.
Philip Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I saw same set up there a couple of days ago. Pretty impressive.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:05 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Raymond
This might come as news to some, but Sony's stock has been sinking fast over the past 2 years.
That certainly comes as news to me. Two years ago SNE was $35/share, today it's trading for about $45/share (a 28% gain). I think you may be a little behind the curve. It fell to a low of around $32 in November 2005, then rose sharply to around $50 at the end of last April. Personally I have a gain of over 30% on my Sony stock, and I'm quite happy with what Sir Howard is doing with the company.

http://finance.yahoo.com/charts#char...ale=on;source=
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Inner Circle

There is a fundamental difference in dynamics between the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and the VHS/Betamax wars.

It's not unreasonable to build devices that can play both the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray disks. That wasn't the case with the tapes.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Gribble
All,
Best Buy took down the HD-DVD display and replaced it with Blu-Ray, and the salesman was definitely pitching Blu-Ray as better. He said HD-DVD came from a 1080p source, but wasn't true 1080p, though he couldn't back that up with anything meaningful.
Because we all know Best Buy salesman are the authoritative source... :P Bet it wouldn't look that good if you used cheap cables other than the most expensive Monster cables too. :P

Glad you got to see it! I might have to wander over to Fry's in the next week and see if they have it setup too.
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring