Blu-Ray takes the lead - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 20th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
The retail price of the XA2 is already 799 in a lot of authorized dealers and Amazon has it at 599. That player is barely a few months old and you can already get it at 400 dollars off.

The XA2 is the one to get. The A2 can’t even do 1080p.
Toshiba ships the A20 on April 4th which can be had for $450. It supports 1080p output as well. However the XA2 uses the REON VX processor and looks stellar upconverting DVDs and it offers more tweaks. If the best quality is demanded then the XA2 is the player to get. If 1080p is demanded then the A20 and if price is the prime motivator get the A2
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
Wouldn't that negate your question right there?
Mike,
No... I was just mentioning that in the interest of full disclosure. The question is still valid - can you find any HD DVD burners for sale? Even if you have to buy a PC to get the burner? Can you find the aforementioned laptop?

There is a big difference between press releases and actual product on the store shelves. Blu-ray burners are shipping...
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...ners-RW-Drives

HD DVD burners are essentially unavailable. This despite the fact that HD DVD burners and blank media should be easier to manufacture, due to the lower storage density and the similarity to DVD.

Tom
Tom Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #48
Major Player

Blu-ray was designed as a recording format first that later transmogrified into a playback medium.

HD DVD was just the opposite so it's understandable why the disparity exists. I'm thinking that we'll see more HD DVD recorders announced by Cedia 07.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:20 PM   #49
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
I could be wrong but I read that you get 5 free HD-DVDs per every HD-DVD player purchased and those vouchers that are included with the PS3 are discounts, not free movies that Toshiba is claiming.
The Amazon link that Tom Vaughan provided actually proved that it’s still being offered. No wonder Toshiba is claiming that HD-DVD players have a high attach rate. Instead of Blu-Ray having a lead of 3 to 1, it would have probably been a lot higher than 4 to 1 if Sony gave the same promotion for the PS3.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:34 PM   #50
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Murchison View Post
Blu-ray was designed as a recording format first that later transmogrified into a playback medium.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5
I wanted this thing badly when I first heard about it back in 2003.

2003 review
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/blu-ray/
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:38 PM   #51
MPS Digital Studios

Didn't Lucas, years ago, say he wouldn't release Star Wars on DVD until the high density blue laser discs came out? This was circa 1999 or so. If my memory is right, this technology has been on the drawing boards for years.

Then again, while in high school, I heard about SD DVD players in 1994 and they said it would be 3 years until they came out in America.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring