DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   Archiving BWU100A 1080/24P content to Blu-Ray? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/90758-archiving-bwu100a-1080-24p-content-blu-ray.html)

Craig Irving April 5th, 2007 10:55 AM

Archiving BWU100A 1080/24P content to Blu-Ray?

I just bought a Sony BWU100A, hoping to archive 1080/24P to Blu-Ray.

Have any V1U users tried this yet? Have you found a workflow that works?
It seems Blu-Ray Export & Authoring is a big feature for the next version of Premiere Pro, and hopefully Sony Vegas have this planned as well (I'm assuming they do)... but have any V1U users started doing this already?

Barry J. Weckesser April 6th, 2007 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Irving (Post 654391)
I just bought a Sony BWU100A, hoping to archive 1080/24P to Blu-Ray.

Have any V1U users tried this yet? Have you found a workflow that works?
It seems Blu-Ray Export & Authoring is a big feature for the next version of Premiere Pro, and hopefully Sony Vegas have this planned as well (I'm assuming they do)... but have any V1U users started doing this already?

Unless you want to spend 35-50K on Sonic Scenarist or Sony Blu Print - there is only one authoring application (with menus) - DVDit Pro HD from Roxio ($ 500 - unless you have another roxio product to upgrade and then it is less) - not compatible with all Blu-Ray current players (mainly the Samsung players). You can use Cyberlink Power Producer (upgrade it to 4.0 and add an update patch) and you can produce a BDAV disc (no menus - but you can put in chapters) which will play in PS3 and the new Samsung player (BDP 1200)- the basic Cyberlink software should have been included with your Sony burner. If you have edited .m2t files you can put these on a blu-ray disc using it as a data disc and they will play on the PS3.

Unfortunately both DVDit Pro HD and Power Producer will not accept .m2t files - they have to be transcoded to elementary stream (.m2v) and audio files.

Tyson Persall April 11th, 2007 01:55 AM

Yeah, I bought a sony laptop with Blu Ray in December. I found out that there is no included software that is practical at making Blu Ray Disks with HDV content. The included software is very lowsy and I couldnt get it to make anything useful. I will have to wait until Premiere Pro 3 with Encore DVD 3 comes out. and buy it to make Blu Ray Disks from my HDV projects.

Kevin Shaw April 11th, 2007 08:36 AM

I'm currently archiving HDV projects from my Sony FX1 to hard drives, which are cheaper than blank Blu-ray discs per GB. Once the blank disc prices drop, the least expensive authoring program I know of is Ulead DVD MovieFactory Plus. Ulead claims they can, "Capture from either HDV or DV video camcorder, and burn directly to Blu-ray Disc to create a video disc that plays on your next-generation player."

http://www.ulead.com/dmf/features.htm

Craig Irving April 11th, 2007 12:10 PM

I just got the BWU100A at FutureShop recently for CAD$449; I couldn't resist buying it. I'm just hoping that Adobe implements proper support for Blu-Ray Authoring from HDV 1080/24P cams like the V1U.

If not, well I've got a nice Blu-Ray player for my PC :)

I'm expecting NAB to showcase a lot of Blu-Ray focused workflows this year.

Ron Little April 20th, 2007 09:55 AM

Kevin what file format are you using to archive your footage? If you could please give the settings.

Kevin Shaw April 20th, 2007 10:14 AM

I'm encoding back to standard 1080i/60 MPEG2-TS at 25 Mbps using the preset for that in Procoder Express for Edius. By the way, I figured out this week that I can play these HDV files directly on a Playstation 3 from an external USB2 drive, plus I can copy the files to the internal PS3 drive and play them from there. So if you want an easy way to archive up to 60GB of HDV material and play it back on an HDTV, buy a PS3! :-)

Zsolt Gordos April 20th, 2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw (Post 663924)
I'm encoding back to standard 1080i/60 MPEG2-TS at 25 Mbps using the preset for that in Procoder Express for Edius. By the way, I figured out this week that I can play these HDV files directly on a Playstation 3 from an external USB2 drive, plus I can copy the files to the internal PS3 drive and play them from there. So if you want an easy way to archive up to 60GB of HDV material and play it back on an HDTV, buy a PS3! :-)

Hi Kevin,

Have you tried to play back other file types, too?

Kevin Shaw April 20th, 2007 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos (Post 664000)
Have you tried to play back other file types, too?

I haven't done exhaustive tests yet, but I can confirm that the PS3 will play HDV 1080i/60 footage, MPEG4 video from a digital photo camera, standard-definition DVDs and Blu-ray movies. It's also useful for storing and playing digital photos in JPG format. And it can be used to surf the internet if suitably connected, plus access files on your home network using the web browser and third-party file serving software.

Oh yeah, it also plays games too... :-)

Zsolt Gordos April 21st, 2007 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw (Post 664381)
I haven't done exhaustive tests yet, but I can confirm that the PS3 will play HDV 1080i/60 footage, MPEG4 video from a digital photo camera, standard-definition DVDs and Blu-ray movies. It's also useful for storing and playing digital photos in JPG format. And it can be used to surf the internet if suitably connected, plus access files on your home network using the web browser and third-party file serving software.

Oh yeah, it also plays games too... :-)

Thx Kevin, I have a ps3 - therefore pretty much aware of its basic features :)))
On the other hand I highly appreciate sharing experience with the usable ones from the countless number of file formats instead of trial and error appoach that I follow today.

Ron Little April 21st, 2007 08:22 AM

I don’t play games never have but you just talked me into a play station 3.

Paulo Teixeira April 21st, 2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Little (Post 664544)
I don’t play games never have but you just talked me into a play station 3.

Sony officially stopped making the 20 GB PS3 not only because it was selling a lot less than the 60 gig version but a lot of non gamers were buying it for just the multimedia aspect. They were loosing a lot more money selling the 20GB version than they did selling the Premium 60GB version.

Because the PS3 plays videogames, HDV and AVCHD files, it really is the perfect entertainment unit.

Craig Irving April 22nd, 2007 09:38 AM

Hey Kevin,

Have you tested with any 24P content yet by any chance? Will the PS3 play that without a hitch also?

When you mentioned that you are playing HDV content off the hard drive of your PS3, I imagine you're keeping your file sizes under 4GB due to the restrictions in FAT32.

Is that correct?