Something new from Canon on Nov. 3rd... - Page 24 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Closed Thread

Old October 26th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #346
Regular Crew

Re: Something new from Canon on Nov. 3rd...

This is IMO the state of play regarding 4K:

-Producer: Will you do this next movie?
-Director (Gearheaded-Director): Yes, and I'll do it with this new digital camera in 4K!
-Producer: Great. What's 4K?
-Director: It's a new technology, it's 4 times more resolution than HD or 2K!!
-Producer: will the movie sell better if it's shot in 4K?
-Director: mmm..., well, I don't know. Of course it will be more expensive to do it, and post-production costs will double due to the high resolution. The good news is that you'll be able to re-release it in 10-15 years at the original 4K resolution, if a new TV/Broadcast technology emerges.
-Producer: (silence)
-Producer (more silence)
-Director: Ok, I'll shoot it with the Alexa and its simpler and cheaper workflow.

Wouldn't you love a 4K Canon camera?
Old October 26th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #347
Major Player

I reread the invitation. I can't remember anything - even remotely similar - phrased in that way from Canon. From Red every other week but from Canon, Never.

If the number of post at this thread is any indication, they better come with something historic... or they will become history's laughing stock!!!
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #348
Major Player

So how should Canon ideally handle lenses?
Lets say they have both an AF100 and an F3 competitor.
Old October 26th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #349
Major Player

EF mount and PL mount. A good idea was mentioned 2 pages prior...

Full IS/Aperture control on EF mount...

Low end model, EF mount, and no option for PL
High end model, PL mount, with EF option/adapter
Old October 26th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #350
Major Player

Any info yet as to what Canon was announcing in New York City tonight? I've been looking at all the usual canon rumor and fanboy sites, but nothing yet. Anyone else heard anything?
Old October 26th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #351
Obstreperous Rex

Yes Jeff, tonight was the Canon PIXMA PRO-1 printer:

Introducing the Canon PIXMA PRO-1 Professional Inkjet Printer

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 26th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #352
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Coll View Post
This is IMO the state of play regarding 4K:

-Producer: Will you do this next movie?
-Director (Gearheaded-Director): Yes, and I'll do it with this new digital camera in 4K!
-Producer: Great. What's 4K?
-Director: It's a new technology, it's 4 times more resolution than HD or 2K!!
-Producer: will the movie sell better if it's shot in 4K?
-Director: mmm..., well, I don't know. Of course it will be more expensive to do it, and post-production costs will double due to the high resolution. The good news is that you'll be able to re-release it in 10-15 years at the original 4K resolution, if a new TV/Broadcast technology emerges.
-Producer: (silence)
-Producer (more silence)
-Director: Ok, I'll shoot it with the Alexa and its simpler and cheaper workflow.
Ha ha, just had the exact conversation with a producer....
Old October 26th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #353
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Yes Jeff, tonight was the Canon PIXMA PRO-1 printer:
I hear that this printer is primarily for stills. Its novel "video on paper" feature was just an afterthought. Besides, it lacks XLR connections... ;)
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #354
Obstreperous Rex

At least now you know that this Nov. 3rd thing most likely is *not* a printer...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #355
Major Player

"Canon will likely be wading themselves into the competition, but definitely on a larger scale...the Hollywood scale. Not sure they'll be concerning themselves with the prosumer demographic with this Nov. 3rd announcement. As far as "we're" concerned, they probably feel they've addressed us in terms of DSLR cinema (for the time being, at least) with the 1DX announcement."

I disagree. I think the high-end Hollywood field is too crowded with cameras with too few sales per unit. I don't see them going 4K or RAW. However, what they release is going to be good enough to play in both the Hollywood and professional video fields. I think they're going to deliver basically a 1DX in a video camera body with decent audio inputs. It's a lot cheaper R&D to release a video camera with the same technology rather than reinventing the wheel. The I-frame mode of the 1Dx is a clue. I'm not sure it was necessary for photographers, but it was probably developed for the new camera. One difference is that it might be a lower-res APS sensor. I also think it will be sub $10K.

Maybe this is all wishful thinking for the camera I want.
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #356
Major Player

I am not sure if it is just a DSLR limitation but the specs on the 1DX do not support 60P or 60i in 1080.
Old October 27th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #357
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Molush View Post
EF mount and PL mount. A good idea was mentioned 2 pages prior...

Full IS/Aperture control on EF mount...

Low end model, EF mount, and no option for PL
High end model, PL mount, with EF option/adapter

With existing EF lenses, IS isn't going to work well in some situations. AF isn't going to work well at wide apertures. Is Canon going to officially support functions on lenses it never designed for video? I suppose they have to. Perhaps they'll have a new EF-S zoom optimized for video.

I don't think they can leave AF out of the low end camera.

I do believe they will make a low end video camera with better IQ than the AF100 or FS100. They don't have more expensive cameras to protect. They could also give us genlock and sdi too, but that would "rock the boat" too much.
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #358
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
"Canon will likely be wading themselves into the competition, but definitely on a larger scale...the Hollywood scale. Not sure they'll be concerning themselves with the prosumer demographic with this Nov. 3rd announcement. As far as "we're" concerned, they probably feel they've addressed us in terms of DSLR cinema (for the time being, at least) with the 1DX announcement."

I disagree. I think the high-end Hollywood field is too crowded with cameras with too few sales per unit. I don't see them going 4K or RAW. However, what they release is going to be good enough to play in both the Hollywood and professional video fields. I think they're going to deliver basically a 1DX in a video camera body with decent audio inputs. It's a lot cheaper R&D to release a video camera with the same technology rather than reinventing the wheel. The I-frame mode of the 1Dx is a clue. I'm not sure it was necessary for photographers, but it was probably developed for the new camera. One difference is that it might be a lower-res APS sensor. I also think it will be sub $10K.

Maybe this is all wishful thinking for the camera I want.

Never said the Nov.3rd announcement was going to be about a camera (or solely about a camera)...said it was gonna be about a large integration of Canon into Hollywood, in some form or fashion.
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #359
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
With existing EF lenses, IS isn't going to work well in some situations. AF isn't going to work well at wide apertures. Is Canon going to officially support functions on lenses it never designed for video? I suppose they have to. Perhaps they'll have a new EF-S zoom optimized for video.
Would be nice if they released optimized lenses for the task, but it would be even nicer having a solution like the birger mount for the red where you can wirelessly pull focus... I know thats a jump and its not going to happen, but it would make the most sense with those lenses as the AF is NOT made for video at all and would violently hunt in a variety of cases im sure... Resolution though, the EF glass will handle anything basically.

Only a couple more days - lets see what you got canon... I need you to convince me not to go scarlet...
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #360
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Molush View Post
Only a couple more days - lets see what you got canon... I need you to convince me not to go scarlet...
don't even try to convince me, I'm going Scarlet no matter what :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems