Something new from Canon on Nov. 3rd... - Page 27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Closed Thread

Old October 30th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #391
Inner Circle

Re: Something new from Canon on Nov. 3rd...

I believe the primary improvement would be the codec on the new Canon cameras. Price points would probably be similar, with perhaps rebates by the manufacturers affecting the out the door costs.

As far as chip size, Canon has to be aware that its full frame 5D changed the look of digital film making. The question is does Canon want to promote that different look, or go back to the more safe super 35mm frame size. Will be interesting to see if any of these things are addressed.
Old October 30th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #392
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Coll View Post
There are currently three price points for the affordable s35 cameras:

-under $6k: 1Dx, FS100, AF100
Not quite - the AF100 isn't s35 - it's four-thirds, and after allowing for the 16:9 sensor crop, the used area is not much more than half the area of s35. Hence you need to be nearly a stop wider open than s35 for the same depth of field. It's also making the best of a sensor designed for stills, and that shows (compared to the FS100, F3) in terms of things like sensitivity and dynamic range. I'd hope the coming Canon to have a sensor designed for video, like the Sony F3, FS100.

And (as Chris says above) the expectation is for the broadcast spec XDCAM422 codec. It should be easy to implement that at no extra cost relative to AVC-HD, which would mean no need for the expense of an external recorder as for the FS100 and AF100.
Old October 30th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #393
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
It should be easy to implement that at no extra cost relative to AVC-HD, which would mean no need for the expense of an external recorder as for the FS100 and AF100.
Agreed.

However, as witnessed in Dan Chung's interview with Canon over the 1DX, Canon are quite happy to take a gun, hold it over their own choice of foot - nay, toe - and quite happily pull the trigger in order to satisfy the Marketing Department (why does the 1DX have to have a non-clean HDMI output? Why isn't there a £300 upgrade to shoot unlimited shot length? So they can sell these new cameras).

I fell 'hook, line and sinker' for the XLH1, until I looked at its viewfinder. Ditto 550D, until I found its noise (and the rest). Was giddy with excitement for the XF300 until it appeared with a 1/3" sensor. Canon do tend to enter 'fashionably late' to most parties, but they also seem to bring a bottle of cheap cider which puts a dampener on their entrance.

I really, really want Canon to do something wonderful: there's so much to do with all that excellent glass, even if it's seen as a 'pocket money Red', it could mop up the entire Low to Mid corporate/web market.

Yet somehow, I've already started letting myself down gently. It will be great, but what's the flatulent pachyderm with psoriasis, bronchitis and halotosis that Canon tend to bring into the room at the behest of its Marketing department on these occasions?

PS: happy to eat my words, Canon, very happy to
Old October 30th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #394
Inner Circle

There is what people want and there is what "they" will give us. RED says they will give us more, but in the end nobody is going to give their product away. I am not expecting a camera from either company to be under $10,000 The big distinction is using the term cinema. Which translates to charge more than a video camera. Canon's best play imho is to compete with the F3 while making a 5DMKIII that satisfies the lower budget market segement. They want to sell lenses as well and if the prices go too high people don't use still lenses for their productions.

I agree with the above post about Canon not offering upgrade packages. They say in the interviews that longer recording and HDMI etc.. would be 20% more. Well I would guess there are a lot of poeple who would pay $600 - $2,000 more. If they offered an XLR addon that would be well received as well. What does not make sense to me is what they are protecting here? If someone passes on a DSLR because it is hobbled and buys an FS-100 they lose the body and the lens sales.
Old October 31st, 2011, 01:22 AM   #395
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Canon's best play imho is to compete with the F3 while making a 5DMKIII that satisfies the lower budget market segement. They want to sell lenses as well and if the prices go too high people don't use still lenses for their productions.
From what I've read from someone who seems to be under a NDA, this appears to be a video division product, rather than a stills camera division one.
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:20 AM   #396
Inner Circle

Yes, the video product to compete with the F3 and the stills product for the sub $5000 market. If we are lucky they will have a little brother to the f3 rival which will split the middle for the rest of us. Large sensors for all! Just a guess...
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:50 AM   #397
Major Player

It's going to be disappointing if Canon has positioned the 1DX as the AF100/FS100 competitor. I would be happy with a 1080p camera with proper audio and ND filters.
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:07 AM   #398
Major Player

I agree with this statement. I am ready to buy the FS100, but have been waiting to see what Canon has up their sleeve on Thursday, Im not interested in the 1DX.
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:12 AM   #399
Obstreperous Rex

Please remember that the 1DX is first and foremost a Digital SLR, in other words it is a *photography* product (which happens to have some video capability). Canon has positioned the 1DX as the Nikon D3x / D3s competitor. Any other comparison is apples-to-oranges, and completely misses what Canon is intending with the 1DX.

As of this date (31 Oct. 2011), Canon has not positioned anything as an AF100 / FS100 competitor. They are not in that market... yet.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:19 AM   #400
Major Player

By the way -- anyone knows if there will be a podcast of the Nov. 3rd (or 3k) event..?

-- peer
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:22 AM   #401
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
As of this date (31 Oct. 2011), Canon has not positioned anything
as an AF100 / FS100 competitor. They are not in that market... yet.
Not till Thursday. ;)
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:40 AM   #402
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
By the way -- anyone knows if there will be a podcast of the Nov. 3rd (or 3k) event..?

-- peer
We are working on that possibility....and if we can't, we'll do video tweets up to you tube & Filmtools.tv. As soon as I know, I'll post

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:52 AM   #403
Major Player

I have my fingers crossed that Canon will bring out a video equivalent to the DSLR for those of us that see limited value in cameras shooting video.
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:08 AM   #404
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Troiano View Post
I am ready to buy the FS100, but have been waiting to see what Canon has up their sleeve on Thursday, Im not interested in the 1DX.
Same here.
Old October 31st, 2011, 05:23 PM   #405
Major Player

counting down.....in 60 hrs we should know!

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems