DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   EOS 300 price bummer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/502308-eos-300-price-bummer.html)

Monty Wentzel November 3rd, 2011 06:47 PM

EOS 300 price bummer

unless after the dust settles there is real reason to get this camera and I mean something worth the bucks the price will drive me to sony fs100 0r the f3.

every camera seems fantastic during the launch, so did fcpx and aint that sad.

ps imho I think sony fs100 sales will have a small spike because of people like me who waiting to see this camera. to early to tell for sure but for 20k this camera better do some magic considering consumer cams aint that much worst than the big boys, in perspective of course...

Dylan Couper November 3rd, 2011 08:48 PM

Re: EOS 300 price bummer

You know, I would have bet almost anything that the FS100 would not have walked away from today still holding the crown of best bang of the buck. (will give more credit to Scarlet X when it ships en masse). But there ya go... go buy an FS100 without regret!

Monty Wentzel November 3rd, 2011 09:24 PM

Hey Dylan you got me looking at the Scarlet, kind of an odd looker, but I'll start checking it out.

Dylan Couper November 3rd, 2011 09:54 PM

Before you get too excited, be aware that there's likely a massive waiting list for Scarlet, and Red isn't known for their ability to produce 10,000 cameras a month. If you need a camera in 2012, you'll probably want a 2nd option.

Chris Barcellos November 3rd, 2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1693944)
You know, I would have bet almost anything that the FS100 would not have walked away from today still holding the crown of best bang of the buck. (will give more credit to Scarlet X when it ships en masse). But there ya go... go buy an FS100 without regret!

And I am thinking that with a little work, the Sony VG20H can be made to work on the lower budget side.

Trees in wind: Looking for Motion Artifacts: Sony Nex VG 20- Testing for motion artifacts - YouTube

Noise Test I did: Testing of Noise In Low Light Sony Nex-VG20 H - YouTube

It came today: Unboxing:

John Vincent November 4th, 2011 01:24 AM

It's certainly the start of the scale. A low budget/low noise 8 bit camera in this sea of high priced 8 bit models is very attractive... Suffice it to say, I'm very interested in your testing of this camera - can it/should it at least displace Canon currently available DSLRS, which seem to be the defacto starting point in digital cinema.

Or is it simply a really nice camcorder for the family?

Either way, FS100/AF100 owners breathed a sigh of relief on the Canon pricing... But as for RED? Now that might be a different thing all together. If they can deliver, it's likely a true game changer.

Tariq Peter November 4th, 2011 02:03 AM

The Sony has Dolby 5.1, I guess with an adapter you can add any canon lens so something like a f1.4 on this may produce stunning quality. I have a 600d and a XHA1 but I may sell the XHA1 and get the Sony instead. The RED looks great but you would need quite a lot of extras to get a setup which would be pratical.

Dylan Couper November 4th, 2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Vincent (Post 1693997)
Either way, FS100/AF100 owners breathed a sigh of relief on the Canon pricing... But as for RED? Now that might be a different thing all together. If they can deliver, it's likely a true game changer.

The FS100/AF100 are in a completely different price bracket from Scarlet. No one is shooting a Scarlet for less than $15,000, more realisticaly, $20,000. The FS100 delivers 90% of what a Scarlet does for 1/3rd the price. It should be a no brainer for anyone with less than $10-$15,000. The F3 owners however...
Anyway, I love both cameras, just pointing out the fairly wide range between them.

Chris Barcellos November 4th, 2011 10:13 AM

When I went to bed last night after a day of fooling with the VG20, I had dreams of Trammel Hudson cracking the VG2 and making work like the the FS 100... Trammel, are you out there ??

Jean Daniel Villiers November 4th, 2011 12:10 PM

Before the Scarlet-X announcement I would say the market value of this C300 would be in the $ 10 000 to $ 12 000. I mean realistic value compared to the superior F3. Now after the Scarlet-X announcement anything beyond $ 8000 would be a joke. The Scarlet-X announcement will put a lot of pressure on the Sony and now Canon. I see a Sony F3 shipping with the slog as standard for between $ 10 000 and $ 12 000. Only one reason would help maintain the prices of the F3 is the Scarlet-X being victim of its success and red having delivery issues. If else why you would buy the F3 or even less C300 for more than a 4k raw camera.

Dylan Couper November 4th, 2011 01:03 PM

Funny you say $10-$12,000... Myself and a few other professionals nailed the value break point (based on specs and compared to other cameras) at about $12,500. We were pretty shocked, and we've all eaten some big dollar sandwiches over the years. Then again... MSRP $16,000 may street for $12,995 eventually.

Of course, to compare it to the Scarlet X, Red actually has to deliver cameras, which (and I say this sadly having bought one yesterday) historically they have issues with. Canon delivers like a stork on meth. So no real head to head until they are both on the street.

Burk Webb November 4th, 2011 06:21 PM

Gaaaaaa!

Well, I've pondered the c300 and have come to the conclusion that this would be an awesome camera if it cost $6000 bucks. It's everything I want right now in a cam but the damn price!

It is a "price bummer" indeed....

Tim Kerigan November 4th, 2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1694168)
Funny you say $10-$12,000... Myself and a few other professionals nailed the value break point (based on specs and compared to other cameras) at about $12,500. We were pretty shocked, and we've all eaten some big dollar sandwiches over the years. Then again... MSRP $16,000 may street for $12,995 eventually.

I believe 20K is MSRP, 16K will be the street price

Glen Vandermolen November 6th, 2011 08:11 AM

As I've stated in another thread, where does everybody get this $10,000 price point from? Please show me this wundercam that has all the features of the C300 for 10 grand. The Scarlet? Sure, if you don't mind not seeing what you're shooting and no batteries. At $10,000, the Scarlet is a very pretty paperweight. A real shooting package for the Scarlet starts at $14K. And at $14K, the Scarlet is a damn good bargain. (If only I could make a business case for it -sigh.)

If any of you expected a $10,000 Canon camera, well that's strictly based upon your own wishful thinking. But don't deride Canon for building this camera at the current price point. Until someone builds a Super 35 sensor, broadcast codec, EF and/or PL lens mount, HD/SDI & HDMI-out, interchangeable lens digital cinema camera for $10,000, we can assume it cannot be done profitably - yet. The fact is, the C300 is near the same price point as its two competitors, the F3 and Scarlet.

A cheaper option - get an AF100/FS100, add an external recorder that can do 100mbps, 4:2:2 - and voila! you have a cheap C300. And you can do it for under $10K.

Monty Wentzel November 6th, 2011 09:43 AM

In my mind it is between the Sony fs100 and f3. For the money difference, is the picture quality that much better? Is it even better?

So if someone was a Sony salesman trying to up sell me on the f3 what would he say...s-log, I have read about it but want to know if it makes a finished difference that would make me glad I spent the money.

I want the option of shooting for a feature film, but it will more than likely only go to dvd. I also want longer record times...longer than the 11 or so minutes you get with the 7d.

By the way the 7d footage I shoot is routinely projected onto a 20' x 30' screen and looks perfect.

Some smart guy feedback would be nice...thanks