C300 Demo: Sword by Félix Alcalá and Larry Carroll - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old November 11th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: C300 Demo: Sword by Félix Alcalá and Larry Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Christian View Post
I must say I missed the era of fantastic high standards across the board and the audience accepting nothing less. Where costs and corners were never cut and nobody ever wanted more flexible equipment.
Must have been before my time.

OFF THREAD MODE = ON
I don't know if that time ever existed. Look at film noir. The high contrast, shadowy look came about specifically because of lower budgets on B movies. It didn't mean that movies became bad. It was an opportunity for directors to find new creativity within the imposed constraints.

Frankly, if cameras need less and less light, we can apply the same quality lighting at a lower cost (fewer watts required.) Good lighting is more about the size, color, and direction of light, rather than watts.

The one place where we are always challenged is when trying to compete with the sun. HDR changes that equation for certain shots. (Not that HDR is available on the C300, but it's here in EPIC and is likely to become available on more cameras in the future.)

Now back to our regularly scheduled program. This thread is about the C300 Demo, Sword....
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #17
Inner Circle

It's also about balancing the lighting levels, which may or may not involve a lot of watts. It surprising the wattage levels being used on sets where they've got pretty sensitive cameras. Soft lighting tends to need more watts than direct hard lighting, you can have low light levels, but quite few large HMIs creating it.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks guys, but I was being somewhat facetious in regard to Henry's fears.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Re-reading it, I now catch the facetious comment. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems