DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C300 and still lenses compatibility (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/502536-c300-still-lenses-compatibility.html)

Emmanuel Plakiotis November 10th, 2011 04:57 AM

C300 and still lenses compatibility

Since the sensor is closer in size to APS-H format than APS, does anybody know, if the EF-S lenses would vignette or not.? That's pretty important.

A second important question. Does the image stabilization works with the new camera?

Thierry Humeau November 10th, 2011 07:40 AM

Re: C300 and still lenses compatibility

I assume that the Super 35 sensor size being so close to Canon's DSLRs APS-C sensors that is not going to be an issue. As for stabilization, I very much hope that this is indeed supported. It would be foolish not to.

T.

R Geoff Baker November 10th, 2011 08:23 AM

The image circle for a Canon APS-C camera is 27mm, for a Canon Cinema EOS camera is 28 ... and for a Canon APS-H camera is 34.5mm. I'd be very surprized if the 4% increase in size of the image circle for the Cinema EOS ruled out lenses designated EF-S -- but I'm just working off the numbers, not any direct experience.

Cheers,
GB

Chris Hurd November 10th, 2011 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The answer is yes, the C300 is compatible with EF-S lenses, and there's even the little white square EF-S mounting guide on the face of the EF lens mount.

See attached pic -- hope this helps,

Thierry Humeau November 10th, 2011 09:16 AM

Actually, there may be a bit of vignetting with EF-S lenses.

From Canon's C300 FAQ
Canon DLC: Cinema EOS Frequently Asked Questions

------
What different EF lenses can I use with the EOS C300?

The EOS C300 is compatible with the following:

* All Canon EF lenses (including Tilt-Shift, MP-E, etc.)
* Canon EF-S lenses (there may be some visible vignetting with certain EF-S lenses)
* Canon Cinema EF lenses – zoom and fixed focal length
-----

Nothing on stabilization though. Would be interesting to find out...

Thierry.

Don Miller November 10th, 2011 11:07 AM

I think they're mute on IS because it doesn't work with some camera moves. If the lens is powered and IS is switched on it works, AFAIK. The C300 does seem to power Canon lenses.
Most lenses vignette some. Canon is saying some EF-S lenses may vignette more than some people might find acceptable.

Jon Fairhurst November 10th, 2011 02:12 PM

I think Canon differentiates between falloff, or "peripheral illumination" and vignetting. All lenses have some amount of falloff when opened wide. This is different than when an image is truly cropped at the corners due to a limited imaging circle. At least that's my take on it.

Emmanuel Plakiotis November 13th, 2011 02:44 AM

It's kind of ironic, but since Nikon's DX format is slightly larger than Canon's EF-S format, is possible that the DX line of NIkon lenses, is more compatible with the new sensor.