Nice C300 peice by Jonathan Yi - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 5th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Nice C300 peice by Jonathan Yi

The video is well done, and 20,000 ISO is an accomplishment but I think it still looks too noisy for much use. The scene of the girl on the bench which starts at ISO 1250 is touching the limit for me at 1250. The rest just look, well noisy with deeper DOF.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

Great interview with Jonathan Yi about the making of this piece (thanks to J. P. A.):

JONATHAN YI TALKS ABOUT THE CANON C300 | The Filmmaker Magazine Blog

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #33
Major Player

It is a nice interview from Jonathan. It helped fill in some information on his tests. Now to wait until Canon comes out with a price and to actually get a camera in my hands. The remaining concerns for me would be how well the viewfinder works on this camera. If you don't have to add a viewfinder that would make the camera more cost effective and easier to use for documentaries.

The problem is that being use to broadcast cameras with high resolution viewfinders I don't know if it will meet my needs. The other concern is how quickly you can white balance and adjust ISO and Gain since there are no dedicated switches. The other big concern is how to solve focusing manually with these small Canon still lenses. Not nearly as easy as manually focusing on a big broadcast lens. Plus you have to be able to make a few lens changes very quickly. Never did have a perfect solution with the DSLR's.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #34
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willis View Post
white balance and adjust ISO and Gain since there are no dedicated switches.
You can set two of the fifteen user-assignable buttons, one to FUNC. WB and the other to FUNC. ISO,
to enter the direct setting modes for white balance and gain (see page 100 of the C300 operator's manual).

Old December 6th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Can't please everyone all the time I guess. The review was enough information to consider the camera and more than enough to rent one to try it out. Better than nothing or guessing. Cheers
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
You can set two of the fifteen user-assignable buttons, one to FUNC. WB and the other to FUNC. ISO,
to enter the direct setting modes for white balance and gain (see page 100 of the C300 operator's manual).
True, and this may work fine. Just have to see how it works actually using the camera. I would not want to have to make 3 steps when I can just make one like I can now with the XDCAM.
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #37
Inner Circle

The rear viewfinder is quite nice and I think very useable. Not quite the same as a broadcast camera where the VF screen is typically 1.5" or 2" across the diagonal, but still useable IMHO never the less.
Old December 6th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #38
Obstreperous Rex

The rear EVF is the same unit as the XF305/300, if that helps.

Old December 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #39
Major Player

Thank you both for the feedback. Good to hear that the viewfinder seems very useable. But if it is the same viewfinder from the XF305 then it is listed as a 1/2" viewfinder. Guess I will have to see for myself.

The C300 seems to take a lot from the XF 305/300 camera which is not necessarily a bad thing, but at over twice the price we would be paying quite a bit for just the large sensor. And the XF 305 comes with a lens.
Old December 7th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #40
Inner Circle

There's probably a larger market for XF 305, so keeping the unit costs down and the perceived value is another factor in pricing products.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #41
Inner Circle

I felt the build quality of the C300 was far superior to the XF305. The quality and feel of the plastics was really good, plus the base and mount is a very solid lump of metal. I was not so happy with the LCD on the handle, this looks like an afterthought. But without the extra top handle the C300 really feels like a workhorse camera, much like a 5D Mk2 or 7D.
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
There's probably a larger market for XF 305, so keeping the unit costs down and the perceived value is another factor in pricing products.
I wonder if that's true. There's so many cameras in that niche. I really have no feeling for unit sales. But the whole DSLR video thing showed a huge unmet demand. Everyone's a Holllywood director.
I would hate to be the guy who had to forcast C300 sales. I'm surprised that F3 sales haven't been better, or perhaps Sony overestimated demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
The video is well done, and 20,000 ISO is an accomplishment but I think it still looks too noisy for much use. The scene of the girl on the bench which starts at ISO 1250 is touching the limit for me at 1250. The rest just look, well noisy with deeper DOF.
I thought it was fine up to ISO 10,000. There's worse noise/grain regularly in some feature films.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #43
Inner Circle

The XF 300 series is the only 1/3" camera that is accepted as full HD for the major broadcasters, it's a rather different market to the DSLRs.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; December 7th, 2011 at 10:50 AM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems