DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C300 Why so long to give it a street price? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/503305-c300-why-so-long-give-street-price.html)

Steve Benjamin December 5th, 2011 03:44 PM

C300 Why so long to give it a street price?

Why do you think Canon are taking to long to give the new camera a street price? is it because they are seeing how many pre'orders they can get then set the price? ie few orders and price accordingly or a lot of orders and pitch it lower? I cannot work out if it is really very clever or really a bit stupid? I guess its the former and a clever marketing strategy some how? or is it because it is fairly unique product and they are just not sure where to pitch it? Its only 8 weeks from release.

Jim Martin December 5th, 2011 05:53 PM

Re: C300 Why so long to give it a street price?

That's because no dealers (around 20 total in the country) have officially been signed....when they are signed, they will find out what the MAP pricing is going to be and everyone will then find out. Also, there are not any official "pre-orders" because you can't take them if you are not officially a dealer. I do know that there has been long, on going discussions within Canon about the pricing and, as I've said numerous times, Canon is reading this and other blogs/forums to help gauge the market.....so everyone's input is being heard.....and please, it's not going to be 5K or 10K so no need to post that kind of pricing....its already been done way too many times.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Chris Luker December 5th, 2011 08:26 PM

They are trying like mad to get it down closer to RED's Scarlet and still make a profit. Hard to do.

Chris Hurd December 5th, 2011 09:12 PM

I think you can expect MAP (minimum advertised price, commonly called "street" price) to be announced in January.

Brian Drysdale December 6th, 2011 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Luker (Post 1701685)
They are trying like mad to get it down closer to RED's Scarlet and still make a profit. Hard to do.

In practice I suspect they could be a rather similar price, with some of the extra elements needed for a shooting C300 being cheaper than the RED camera equivalents. Also, the Scarlet's price is going up in the New Year.

The main competition for the C300 is probably more the F3 rather than the Scarlet.

Jean-Philippe Archibald December 6th, 2011 09:04 AM

According to this interview with Jonathan Yi,

JONATHAN YI TALKS ABOUT THE CANON C300 | The Filmmaker Magazine Blog

Canon decided just a few minutes before the holywood launch to talk about "around 20 000$" because of the Yen fluctuation and they wanted to be conservative. Canon is a very conservative company. Everyone who were involved in the developement were somewhat surprised about this, since they were told it would be lower.

I think Canon will start advertising the true price soon.

Chris Hurd December 6th, 2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1701740)
The main competition for the C300 is probably more the F3 rather than the Scarlet.

Bingo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Philippe Archibald (Post 1701778)
According to this interview with Jonathan Yi,

Thanks for the link, that's a great interview. I'll post it in the Jonathan Yi thread.

Bob Willis December 6th, 2011 09:41 AM

After looking through the manual, the video sample footage, and the interviews I think that what the camera offers as a working camera it would be competitive in the $14,000 to $16,000 range. Those that feel that this is still too expensive will probably look to the FS100 or wait for a competitor from Panasonic or Canon (or even Sony) to come out with a camera in the $5000 to $10,000 range.

I would not be a buyer if the camera is street priced above $16,000. For the features it offers it would not make sense since there are a few competing cameras now and obviously more to come. It really depends on what Canon has on the table for development. Another DSLR with the same limitations but more resolution does not seem to be what people are wanting. The C300 is definitely the right direction for people producing work for broadcast and smaller budget independent work. It solves most of the problems of the DSLR's.

Alister Chapman December 6th, 2011 11:46 AM

At the Visual Impact C300 open house in Teddington, UK, today I was given the price of £9995 by the dealer, available 3rd quarter of January.

Brian Drysdale December 6th, 2011 12:33 PM

That price under cuts the current F3 price on their web site. It should give people thinking about the basic F3 for broadcast work another option, if not those wanting the full s-log etc..

Steve Benjamin December 7th, 2011 03:51 AM

If that ends up as the actual street price its far more realistic, I will buy.

Alister Chapman December 7th, 2011 05:33 AM

That is the price anyone can buy a C300 from Visual Impact. They are taking orders right now at that price. I've placed my order with them and have an order confirmation including that confirmed price. Obviously there is still VAT to be added.

Syeed Ali December 7th, 2011 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1701815)
At the Visual Impact C300 open house in Teddington, UK, today I was given the price of £9995 by the dealer, available 3rd quarter of January.

I've just ordered one from Preston Media at the same price.

Don Miller December 7th, 2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1701789)
Bingo!

Is there currently episodic television in the U.S. shot primarily on the F3?

$15K ish US price sounds more reasonable. There's no VAT in the £9995 as a commercial price, right?

Chris Hurd December 7th, 2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Miller (Post 1702042)
Is there currently episodic television in the U.S. shot primarily on the F3?

No doubt about it.

When I was in Hollywood last month, Charles Papert invited me on
set (on location at the American Legion, two blocks from my hotel!
how convenient). He's the D.P. on a new Comedy Central series, and
they're shooting on a pair of F3's with S-Log, in a standard A cam / B
cam set-up. Hard to say how many shows are shooting on the F3 right
now but I bet it's a lot.