DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   EOS Custom Picture File (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/504850-eos-custom-picture-file.html)

Thierry Humeau January 29th, 2012 01:11 PM

EOS Custom Picture File

In the C300 op manual, the C8 EOS Std custom picture file is described as such:

"Reproduces the image quality and look (high contrast, vibrant colors) of an EOS digital SLR camera with its picture style set to [Standard]."

which means that inter-cutting C300 footage shot with this profile with Canon 5D/7D should be seamless. Can anyone confirm that it is indeed the case?

Thanks.

Mikko Topponen January 29th, 2012 02:44 PM

Re: EOS Custom Picture File

But who shoots with the 5d at standard settings? Doesn't everyone dial all the contrast and sharpness settings completely down and use the Neutral profile?

Kevin Dooley January 29th, 2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikko Topponen (Post 1712171)
But who shoots with the 5d at standard settings? Doesn't everyone dial all the contrast and sharpness settings completely down and use the Neutral profile?

At least! It's that or Cinestyle for me 100% of the time on Canon DSLRs.

Thierry Humeau January 29th, 2012 08:16 PM

We all make tweaks to 5D scene files but overall, I just want to see a confirmation that when using EOS picture profile, the C300 inter-cuts seamlessly with 5D/7D footage. I think a C300/5D combo could be very handy.

Thanks.

Colin McAuliffe January 29th, 2012 08:58 PM

I highly doubt it will be "seamless"

I own a c300, and ive looked at the EOS setting and it does look similar to a 5d, but not quite the same.

Thierry Humeau January 30th, 2012 12:16 PM

Would you say it looks better or not as good as a 5D? I like the words "high contrast, vibrant colors" they use to describe the EOS picture profile because regardless of the 5D downsides, these are what catches the viewers attention. I hope the EOS picture profile can emulate this or come close enough.

Take care,

T.

Charles Papert February 4th, 2012 02:00 PM

High contrast and vibrant colors are generally pretty easy to achieve with color correction--the trick is going back the other way, especially with contrast. Shooting in a contrasty situation to begin with, it's much better to capture a wider flat range of values and build the contrast back in later so you can dial in the shadow or highlight detail as required. It's nice to have that option, especially if one is delivering footage that won't go through a CC process.

Thierry Humeau February 4th, 2012 07:11 PM

Charles,

I understand that. My original question was to whether or not, the EOS profile on the C300 matches the Standard profile on a 5D. That is it.

Best,