What kind of lenses are you planing to use - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 7th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: What kind of lenses are you planing to use

So nobody is going to use PL lenses?????

I personally find AF photo lenses useless for video, as they are very difficult to focus, impossible to rack focus, lose their marks, breath awfully, aren't parfocal, have stepped apertures.. etc, etc.

I know PL lenses are expensive, but the Zeiss CP.2 are quite affordable but still of very high quality and smooth like butter, and even have changeable mounts, so you can go from EF to PL or anything else in the future, preserving your investment specially when they are built like tanks.

Are you planning to rack focus with L lenses??
Henry Coll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #17
Regular Crew

It really depends on the job doesnt it? I've been using canon glass to rack focus for years. It might not be ideal, but with the hard stops that modern follow focuses have, an a competent AC you are fine. Plus the cost of the zooms is SO much lower than te cost of PL zooms. Now, when there is budget for a PL kit, that is something entirely different.
Colin McAuliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #18
Starway Pictures

Man, give me a stock C300 body and my choice of 3 or 4 Zeiss CP.2s and I'll be a very happy cinema-verite guy!!!!
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Well I'm going to get a 17-55 AF-s as a run n gun lens. But beyond that I'll probably use my existing Nikon fit lenses as these all have de-clicked manual iris rings.
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #20
Major Player

I have the 17-55 2.8 IS paired with the 7D and I'm very pleased with its visual, weather and IS performance. If it was EF it would have an L designation.

I wonder:

Has anyone tested, if it can properly cover the C300 frame? Canon doesn't guarantee coverage for all it's
EF-S lenses, since they are 1.6X and not 1.5X like Nikon or Sony.

Is the lens weather sealed with the C300.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I've just finished a three city tour in Canada with Canon for the launch of the C300. We looked at a couple of EFS lenses and from our rough test it covered the c 300. We had one of the 10-22 on the C300 and it was fine.

Opens up a lot of possibilities
Nigel Akam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #22
Starway Pictures

Does anyone know if there's a magnification factor when using EF lenses?
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #23
Regular Crew

From the EF lenses I used and the numbers that showed as the 35 mm equivalent in the XF utility metadata it's a 1.53 crop factor. 50 mm lens shows as 76.5 in XF utility.
Nigel Akam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Got my hands on a few C300s at BVE in Earls Court last week. Love how easily you can hand hold it and those oh so lovely images it creates with ease.

I too have the excellent Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS EF-S and indeed a Canon 10-22mm EF-S, Canon 100mm Macro F 2.8 Hybrid IS and the Canon 70-200mm F4 IS, all currently for my 7D.

Not sure if I can stretch my budget yet to buying the C300 but I sure am interested in this thread.

Now my question. How come the Tokina 11-16mm mentioned earlier does give slight frame corner darkening but the "extra mm wideness" on the Canon 10-22mm was fine? There is something I don't fully understand with that - and it won't be the first time that's happened!

Edit - Thinking about this some more, surely if one Canon EF-S lens works then surely they should all work as they will all be designed to produce an image on the sensor of a designed and definite size. Maybe the very slight corner darkening on the Tokina is because that lens is designed to fit Nikons and Canons (which I believe have slightly different crop sensor sizes). Let me know if this is rubbish!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; February 19th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Hi Andy,

Canon has built-in Peripheral Illumination Correction in the 7D for Canon lenses, but not for 3rd party lenses. From what I've read, the C300 includes PIC for some 3rd party glass too.

I find PIC to be a very important feature in video mode. Yeah, it will still amplify sensor noise as it boosts the corners, but it's done with the full bit depth signal, so there's no amplification of quantization or block noise. PIC is also applied before any S-curve from the picture style is applied.

If you shoot with good lenses at f/4 or tighter, it's no big deal. However, when shooting wide open, PIC is a very nice feature.

It would be interesting to get a list of lenses with C300 PIC support.

BTW, you might check that your 7D includes profiles for all of your Canon glass. If any are missing, use the EOS utility to load the profiles into the camera. On the 5D2, neither the 100L or 70-200L IS II were loaded by default.
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Thanks Jon. Useful and interesting information. Now I understand it. Great place this!
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson
Edit - Thinking about this some more, surely if one Canon EF-S lens works then surely they should all work as they will all be designed to produce an image on the sensor of a designed and definite size. Maybe the very slight corner darkening on the Tokina is because that lens is designed to fit Nikons and Canons (which I believe have slightly different crop sensor sizes). Let me know if this is rubbish!
Andy,
The NIKON are 1.5X crop while the Canon is slightly smaller at 1.6X* . That means that Nikon DX or other manufacturers (Tokina, Sigma, Sony etc) lenses, cover more than the Canon's EF-S lenses and are more suitable for C300 which S35 frame is larger than both DX and EF-S frames. That of course is a generalization and each lens must be tested individually. Hence and my question above, regarding the EF-S 17-55 2.8.
The darkening of the corners could be inherent in the design of Tokina (wide open most wide lenses exhibit vignetting) and have nothing to do with the coverage of the lens. That has a PIC in C300, is measure of its popularity. These days manufacturers design their lenses with digital correction in mind, essentially making them unsuitable for system migration. 3rd party lenses like Tokina, try to comprise between Canon and Nikon systems. Traditionally they are designed to suit better the Nikon system than the Canon one, but don't right that on stone.

I think Canon ought to inform its professional customers which EF-S are fully compatible with C300, which not and in what way.

*Don't think I made a mistake. A smaller sensor needs bigger multiplier to achieve the area of a FF sensor.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #28
Major Player

A listing of Canon lenses compatible with the C300.

http://cweb.canon.jp/cinema-eos/spec.../structure.pdf

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM   #29
Starway Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Akam View Post
From the EF lenses I used and the numbers that showed as the 35 mm equivalent in the XF utility metadata it's a 1.53 crop factor. 50 mm lens shows as 76.5 in XF utility.
Ugh. I was afraid of that.

So a 24mm PL on a PL camera is a true 24mm. Whereas a 24mm EF on the EF camera is actually 36mm.
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:47 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders View Post
Ugh. I was afraid of that.

So a 24mm PL on a PL camera is a true 24mm. Whereas a 24mm EF on the EF camera is actually 36mm.
If I understood well what you said I think you are wrong. A 24mm is a 24mm and on a C300 sensor is going to look like a 36mm on a 35mm full frame still sensor no matter its mount.
EDIT I mean the parameters are the focal of the lens (mm.) and the size of the sensor, not the mount.
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems